Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

merlin100

BST StarGuider 60º 8mm ED Eyepiece - Taken The Plunge...

Well, I've gone and done it now! I've ordered a BST StarGuider 8mm ED EP from FLO, so we'll see how that goes... 

I wanted to order just the one, then if I like what I see (literally), I can buy more. 

• Like 1

They're good for the price. I like the 8mm. The 12mm is good too.

Not keen on the 25mm though. Stars aren't great in any of my scopes except in the centre.

• Like 1

I find them all really good in my Ed80 and 120.

• Like 1

I've compared them to the Meade HD-60 here.  The 8mm and 5mm are very good, the 12mm pretty good.  Things get progressively worse going up through 15mm, 18mm, and 25mm.  Never bad, just nowhere close to premium performance like the 8mm and 5mm models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I've compared them to the Meade HD-60 here.  The 8mm and 5mm are very good, the 12mm pretty good.  Things get progressively worse going up through 15mm, 18mm, and 25mm.  Never bad, just nowhere close to premium performance like the 8mm and 5mm models.

I've already got a 15mm Meade 4000 SP EP, so I can't see me duplicating the same focal length in a BST.  I may go for a 12mm BST though. For wider angle stuff, I'll save up and get a half decent 2 inch 30mm EP. I've had some recommendations, so I'll see how I get on with that.  This'll be a work in progress. 😉

Eyepiece sets always seem to be a "work in progress" :rolleyes2:

• Haha 1

I own the full set of bst eye pieces with exception of the 3.2mm they are very good performers for the money. The 8mm and 5mm are both very handy as the 8 gives me  x150 and the 5 x240 a nice jump between the two.

I think I am in the minority as I really like the 15mm but that doesn't seem to get much praise. I personally prefer it to the 18mm

the 25mm was very nice for the M45 Venus conjunction last night.

Baz

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I own the full set of bst eye pieces with exception of the 3.2mm they are very good performers for the money. The 8mm and 5mm are both very handy as the 8 gives me  x150 and the 5 x240 a nice jump between the two.

I think I am in the minority as I really like the 15mm but that doesn't seem to get much praise. I personally prefer it to the 18mm

the 25mm was very nice for the M45 Venus conjunction last night.

Baz

I'm certainly willing to give some of the other EP's a go.  I must admit, I like the look of them, especially the coloured ring.  Cosmetics is one thing, performance is another.😉

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

I'm certainly willing to give some of the other EP's a go.  I must admit, I like the look of them, especially the coloured ring.  Cosmetics is one thing, performance is another.😉

Most people purchase two or three of a set.  Being fairly inexpensive I purchased them all. I now feel like I have an eye piece for most requirements. I just need a 32mm 2" eye piece for events such as the Venus conjunction. John and stu kindly pointed me to a couple of options. I need to hunt the thread down as I can't remember the options! 😂

I might also still purchase the? 3.2mm for x375 mag. However I doubt I will get many opportunities to use such high power.

In short, the BST range get my thumbs up 👍

• Like 1