Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BST StarGuider 60º 8mm ED Eyepiece - Taken The Plunge...

Well, I've gone and done it now! I've ordered a BST StarGuider 8mm ED EP from FLO, so we'll see how that goes... 

I wanted to order just the one, then if I like what I see (literally), I can buy more. 

I've compared them to the Meade HD-60 here.  The 8mm and 5mm are very good, the 12mm pretty good.  Things get progressively worse going up through 15mm, 18mm, and 25mm.  Never bad, just nowhere close to premium performance like the 8mm and 5mm models.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I've compared them to the Meade HD-60 here.  The 8mm and 5mm are very good, the 12mm pretty good.  Things get progressively worse going up through 15mm, 18mm, and 25mm.  Never bad, just nowhere close to premium performance like the 8mm and 5mm models.

I've already got a 15mm Meade 4000 SP EP, so I can't see me duplicating the same focal length in a BST.  I may go for a 12mm BST though. For wider angle stuff, I'll save up and get a half decent 2 inch 30mm EP. I've had some recommendations, so I'll see how I get on with that.  This'll be a work in progress. 😉

I own the full set of bst eye pieces with exception of the 3.2mm they are very good performers for the money. The 8mm and 5mm are both very handy as the 8 gives me  x150 and the 5 x240 a nice jump between the two.

I think I am in the minority as I really like the 15mm but that doesn't seem to get much praise. I personally prefer it to the 18mm

the 25mm was very nice for the M45 Venus conjunction last night.

Baz

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I own the full set of bst eye pieces with exception of the 3.2mm they are very good performers for the money. The 8mm and 5mm are both very handy as the 8 gives me  x150 and the 5 x240 a nice jump between the two.

I think I am in the minority as I really like the 15mm but that doesn't seem to get much praise. I personally prefer it to the 18mm

the 25mm was very nice for the M45 Venus conjunction last night.

Baz

I'm certainly willing to give some of the other EP's a go.  I must admit, I like the look of them, especially the coloured ring.  Cosmetics is one thing, performance is another.😉

38 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

I'm certainly willing to give some of the other EP's a go.  I must admit, I like the look of them, especially the coloured ring.  Cosmetics is one thing, performance is another.😉

Most people purchase two or three of a set.  Being fairly inexpensive I purchased them all. I now feel like I have an eye piece for most requirements. I just need a 32mm 2" eye piece for events such as the Venus conjunction. John and stu kindly pointed me to a couple of options. I need to hunt the thread down as I can't remember the options! 😂

I might also still purchase the? 3.2mm for x375 mag. However I doubt I will get many opportunities to use such high power.

In short, the BST range get my thumbs up 👍

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought the BST 12mm from FLO in their recent used/returns offers. Was surprised and impressed by the build quality and the size (my Celestron Omni Plossl 10mm looks and feels very weedy next to it). Only really had one viewing session with it on my 90/500 achro. Good detail on Orion Nebula, and the pleiades as well. 

Looking forward to a linger session in a darker aree to really test it out, but initial thoughts are positive enough to put the 18mm amd the 25mm on my wishlist... 

I like my 32mm Celestron omni Plossl, anyone have any views on whether the BST equivalent would represent a worthwhile update? 

5 hours ago, Marc1964 said:

Looking forward to a linger session in a darker aree to really test it out, but initial thoughts are positive enough to put the 18mm amd the 25mm on my wishlist... 

The 18mm and 25mm are not as well corrected to the edge as the 12mm; so you'll need to temper your expectations with them or risk disappointment, especially with an f5.5 achro.

When first upgrading my stock eyepieces I bought the 5, 8, 12, 15 and 25mm BST Starguiders. They are all great value for the money paid for them. The 8 & the 12mm are particularly sharp and the 25mm can be a bit softer around the edges in anything below f6. However it’s great in my Maksutov 127 f11.8. I also liked the solid build and large diameter eye lens. The cherry on top for me is the twist up eyecups which are smooth and remain in the position chosen.