SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pull Of The Moon - Couldn't Resist!

cloudsweeper

OK, thought I'd chill with a beer this evening.  But - 7.40 - looked up to a clear sky and saw a lovely waxing gibbous Moon, high, SE.  Not too bright in that light.  Just couldn't resist, so I got the Dob out of its shed and was immediately drawn to Gassendi near the terminator, standing out north of Mare Humorum.  Rupes Liebig stretched out beyond it around the edge of the sea.

Going from x53 to x159 then x 212 the view was lovely, with a slight orange hue in the current light.  The central peaks of Gassendi were very clear.  At x318, the view was still stable, although at x423 'scope wobble was noticeable and the view shifted rapidly.  Back to x318, sadly no sign of the rilles in the crater floor.

Down to x64 / 1.57deg with the 100deg Myriad - a beautiful view of the whole Moon, with detail all over, and a jagged terminator of southern highlands blending into the smooth edge of Oceanus Procellarum.  

With thickening cloud, I finished after a 40 minute impromptu and delightful session, and returned to that glass of beer!

Doug.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, John said:

Nice report Doug :smiley:

No beer here but it's a totally clear sky.

Gassendi does look very nice. Using my Tak 100 tonight.

Enjoy, John!

Doug.

15 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Nice one Doug.

There is always something a bit sweeter about the unplanned session.. even more so if you have a beer in the fridge....

Mark

Nice unplanned  observing, nice beer - doesn't get any better!

Doug.

6 minutes ago, DavidJM said:

Just done the same, was going to chill inside tonight then looked outside and out I went😀

Good to have such passion, isn't it?  😉

Doug,

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Enjoy, John!

Doug.

Nice unplanned  observing, nice beer - doesn't get any better!

Doug.

Good to have such passion, isn't it?  😉

Doug,

It sure is😀

• Like 1