Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Calcium

Altocumulus

Hi all,

Does anyone have any images to compare the Baader k-line filter with the Lunt B1200 module, that would help justify the big cost of the Lunt.

I'm thinking of upgrading my 102 white light imaging.

One way I'm thinking is to concatenate the Lunt white ledge with baader -continuum and -k line. How much better than straight white light would that be, and how much

worse than getting the module at some £1600!

Haven't considered, yet, a calcium quark....

Just thinking out loud whilst I wait for the sun to appear - 10 days, it has to be there somewhere, and not in a gale, due tomorrow!

Hmm? 🤔 FWIW, here's a comparison between H-Alpha (Orange), White Light (Yellow), Baader Continuum (Green)
and a Baader Double Stacked K-line filter (Violet). I sense it is MUCH the concensus the Baader K-line (even double
stacked) does not come too close to standards of dedicated CaK systems. Not totally useless? But I would say that! 🥳
(Unfortunately you cannot "concatenate" the Continuum AND K-line filters...  The light transmission would be zero)

I think there are *many* excellent examples (on this subforum!) of CaK images using pukka Lunt CaK modules etc. 😃

*** A bit of WARNING: (Clearly) the Double Stacked Baader K-Line Filter reduces light levels quite a lot too. I have to
use a significantly LESS dense neutral filter (than standard) in combination with the Wedge (with Green Continuum
Filters etc). This is OK if you "know what you are doing" are careful! (I don't generally do VISUAL Solar observing). ***

To be honest, I suspect I'd have to be really enthusiastic (Seeing AND Sun spectacular?) to do such messing often! lol 
If I haven't been "Corona'd" (as in the Virus!)... Live to next Solar Maximum... I was thinking of a Lunt CaK Module?!?!

HTH </wibble> 😛

Animate.gif.73d70aa0047a684fd75195eba1176b97.gif

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pete - it's less expensive option - my worry is whether it just ends up being a slightly enhanced version of 'normal' white light.

There has to be a reason for the high cost of the Lunt module - beyond the £/$ exchange. At £365 for the filter it might be worth saving for that proverbial

non-rainy day. There is a Quark at a mid-price point...but needs an ERF and F7+ scope....

I ended up building my own version based on a Baader CCD blue filter as a CaK ERF then a collection of Omega filters and the famous “yellow” filter from a PST CaK scope.

seems to work well for me......

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

A bit late to this post but only just got a baader k-line filter for Christmas and the weather has been awful but first light results seem pleasing. My thoughts about getting one was the fact that, 1. I can't afford a Lunt cak at between £1100 and £1990 and 2. When I can the baader and be used with the Lunt cak to increase contrast so nothing lost. The image's were taken with an Hershel wedge, 80ed refractor and zwo ASI 178mm cam. Still experimental at the moment. In my opinion it's a good filter to get to grips with k-line imaging and processing of said image's.

PSX_20210130_194844.jpg.1dd6bd8140c505cf3f5f0c418673695d.jpg

PSX_20210130_195021.jpg.0a992b86fda896a3404cab2be81107a6.jpg

20200123-1345UTellabryant-Baader-cak-col.thumb.png.d1bca30acf6033f0e3227fd562529ff6.png

20200123-1345UTellabryant-Baader-cak.thumb.png.9802dc9c38708f504b74c63dca410cc0.png

PSX_20210123_220042.jpg.d361b86ef8741a0eddba732600d636b7.jpg

PSX_20210123_220201.jpg.c68cf4bfd05c53d11fdfd7fa14db3ce7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

Thanks Nigella - in the end I did get the module, but you've gotten some good results there.... p.s. at least you have some sun!

Hiya, sorry I was to late to the post. Hope you don't mind me asking what Lunt Cak module did you get in the end? I'm waiting for Brexit and covid to settle down before looking into purchasing a Lunt cak module. 

11 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

Lunt LS12CaKMDd2 Ca-K Module with B1200 Blocking Filter in Star Diagonal for 2" Focuser - I purchased it from 365 ( only place that had it in stock at the time! )

That's probably the one I'd go for eventually but the straight through one. Slightly less glass to go through because of the wedge eliminate. Hope you get some sun soon, it's been very hit and miss here, only about six imaging sessions in January and February only one so far. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment

The difference is in the "Flocculus",  or the white marshmellow stuff you are able to image..   The first image shows my real calcium filter with less than 1 angstrom of bandwidth,   compared to my  false calcium filter with more 10 angstroms of bandwidth.   Both are useful for different studies.

Real calcium filter image

menace_strip_opt.gif

False calcium filter image

apollo-lasky-white-calcium-puff_15547883

The real money shot is on a full disc however.  

True calcium filter will show the flocculs across every inch of the sun, no matter where you point it at.     The baader planetarium filter is a terrible  for what it costs, so put it on your "do not buy" list.

post-224079-0-81561200-1412295727.jpg

I would really like to try the Lunt module but I have a hard time with the price compared to the dollar value. I am used to US products being the same cost in pounds over here as the US dollar price but the Lunt module is $1100 in the US and nearly £1600 here - that’s pretty much twice the cost.

Edit. Maybe the US cost on the Lunt site doesn’t include taxes. See, I am already trying to justify the purchase 😁

Edited by astro_al
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, astro_al said:

I would really like to try the Lunt module but I have a hard time with the price compared to the dollar value. I am used to US products being the same cost in pounds over here as the US dollar price but the Lunt module is $1100 in the US and nearly £1600 here - that’s pretty much twice the cost.

Edit. Maybe the US cost on the Lunt site doesn’t include taxes. See, I am already trying to justify the purchase 😁

I think it adds around 30% including import duties and taxes but that still doesn't justify the higher cost. It's a bit of a con but what can we do if we want to add certain types of observations to our kit. It's sad really when we're adding to scientific research. 

• Like 1

I was thinking that there may be state tax for US buyers so it may not be quite as ‘cheap’. However, even with that considered the gap feels too big. I think there was a sale a while ago when they were more like £1200. I think I will wait for that to come around again. 

• Like 1

You cannot avoid taxes.  The governments do not give a "F" about our lives or hobbies; they just want their cut so they can continue eatting $500.00 plates of potatoes and beef..

The taxes excuse is pretty lame if that is what is going to stop you from enjoying your life with a new toy that you want.

Here in the united states, we cannot even order products from baader planetarium.com,  i think thats more unfair than taxes.

15 hours ago, Kitsunegari said:

The taxes excuse is pretty lame if that is what is going to stop you from enjoying your life with a new toy that you want.

It’s not the taxes. I accept that imported products incur VAT and import duty as well as an increased shipping cost. That’s the 30% Nigella referred to and that’s why the $90 adapter I ordered from Starlight Instruments costs £90.

If the $1200 Lunt module was £1200 in the UK then that would be inline with my experiences, but it’s not - it’s £1600. An extra £400 above what it would cost me to buy direct from Lunt - which I cannot do. 

I am all for supporting the UK reseller model (not suggesting they get the £400 as I wouldn’t know) but the cost of this particular item is too high for me compared to the dollar price. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Can't wait for my Lunt b1800 Cak module to arrive, really excited, lol. 

Good! One thing I couldn't understand is why the Lunt WL wedge comes in a nice silver coloured box a-kin to the case for the solar scopes, whilst the CaK module arrives in -------a plastic bag!

• Sad 1