Narrowband

You don’t see this very often

Littleguy80

6 minutes ago, markse68 said:

I still haven’t seen the comet yet so 🤞 for that. Shame the planets aren’t up yet. Interested in interesting suggestions too so following 😊

You can catch the planets if you don’t mind getting up early. Between 5:30 and 6 Jupiter is high enough to be worth observing. Was good enough to see the GRS last week :) 

• Like 1

I’ve been locating all the bits of my larger scope and mount from round the house, I will bag that comet!! Got a few things to test out too, at least I don’t need to stay up too late for it to get dark.

Peter

• Like 1

Sort of worked, stock “crayford” focusser was pants... wobbles much more than I remember (maybe something to do with a 2” coma corrector and 20mm XWA eyepiece hanging off it. Remembered I had a spare moonlite focusser under the bed... now fitted and ready for sundown, see if we can get the corrector set.

Peter

• Like 2

Venus is a good evening object, see if you can observe just after sundown.  Currently just passed through the Pleiades so there's a bit of interest there as it moves away from them each night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonathan said:

Venus is a good evening object, see if you can observe just after sundown.  Currently just passed through the Pleiades so there's a bit of interest there as it moves away from them each night.

Funnily enough I’m looking at Venus right now :)  Trying out a violet filter I just bought to try and see some cloud detail. Venus looks great at 200x magnification. Like a little Moon but without all the surface features   

18 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Funnily enough I’m looking at Venus right now :)  Trying out a violet filter I just bought to try and see some cloud detail. Venus looks great at 200x magnification. Like a little Moon but without all the surface features   

What scope / eyepiece is that with?  I'm hoping to point my 102 refractor at it probably this evening.

52 minutes ago, jonathan said:

What scope / eyepiece is that with?  I'm hoping to point my 102 refractor at it probably this evening.

That was with my 10” dob. Had some really nice views with 80mm refractor too. Was using TV Nagler Zoom and some Baader Genuine Orthos. 

46145E03-DFEA-4651-9112-20FE945F399B.thumb.jpeg.14ebf553903d941f3475e1a91f2212d5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

That was with my 10” dob. Had some really nice views with 80mm refractor too. Was using TV Nagler Zoom and some Baader Genuine Orthos. 

I have a 3.5mm Pentax, how does that compare to those eyepieces (which I have no idea about)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonathan said:

I have a 3.5mm Pentax, how does that compare to those eyepieces (which I have no idea about)?

Pentax are very good. I think the Pentax have a wider field of view than the eyepieces I’ve used. Should good you some very nice views of Venus. Some find a variable polariser helpful to reduce the brightness. I was experimenting with a Violet filter yesterday to try and pick up some cloud detail on Venus. It’s subtle but can be seen. @mikeDnight has some great sketches in the sketching section which are worth checking out. 

2 hours ago, jonathan said:

Hi Jonathan,

If you have a 3.5mm Pentax XW, you have one of the best eyepieces ever made. It's really hard to beat the Pentax, as it will deliver great planetary and lunar, and stellar or deep sky. Anything that will beat it will do so both subtly, but also at the expense of width of field. 

I tried my 3.5 Pentax with 102 refractor, a very good combo for planetary so I'm led to believe however atmospheric disturbance was against me, just couldn't get a decent look through all the wibbling and wobbling.  At such high magnification I was also getting significant mount wobble when attempting to focus (dual speed, don't have a motorised focuser... yet), perhaps if I can be bothered I'll get the NEQ6 out one evening, it would take an earthquake to make that thing wobble.  Couldn't discern any cloud structures, just bright white (with my ND/moon filter) with a subtle gradient at the crescent terminator.  Still was great to see Venus though, it appeared perhaps 1/4 smaller than the full moon does to the naked eye.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kn4fty said:

Try knocking out some of the Lunar 100. Always a good time!

Rob

Tonight I must have seen 98% of the lunar surface, does that mean I've "seen" 98 out of the 100? :D

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jonathan said:

Tonight I must have seen 98% of the lunar surface, does that mean I've "seen" 98 out of the 100? :D

Well, closer to 49% of it, actually :D

But no, you possibly won't have seen 98 of them because IIRC a few are dependent on libration -- the Moon doesn't consistently face us exactly in the same orientation, but "rocks" a little.  This means that sometimes the objects are visible given a suitable phase of the Moon, whilst others may actually be facing away from us and not visible at all.

James

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Well, closer to 49% of it, actually :D

But no, you possibly won't have seen 98 of them because IIRC a few are dependent on libration -- the Moon doesn't consistently face us exactly in the same orientation, but "rocks" a little.  This means that sometimes the objects are visible given a suitable phase of the Moon, whilst others may actually be facing away from us and not visible at all.

James

I meant 98% of the earth-facing surface.  I had thought about libration actually but didn't include it in the quip.