Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focus on a SkyWatcher 200p

Hi all - Thanks as always to anybody who offers their assistance, it's invaluable and appreciated everytime.

I have a SkyWatcher 200p EQ5.  I haven't used it for a few years and have just picked it up back again.  I'm having the exact same issue I had when it was new out of the box in that I cannot get it to focus whatsoever.  It caused me no end of grief originally, and after weeks of trying different combinations of adapters and eyepieces I cracked it.  It turned out to be something simple, and from what I remember, was essentially an objective of making the length between the focuser and the eyepiece as short as possible.  But unfortunately, I cannot remember what the solution was at all!!!  I think one of these pieces unscrewed to create the right setup but I cannot find it.

Here are some images of how I've got it setup, and the adapters and pieces I have.  What am I missing?  I'm confident that everything is working, and the focuser does move when adjusted which I know can be a common cause.

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

Point it at a distant object and remove all the adapters from the focuser.  Hold a low power eyepiece in the focuser opening and move it in and out by hand while looking through it like a loupe.  See if you can get a focused image at any distance.  If you can get a focus, note the distance.  Infinity focus will be noticeably closer in to the main tube, but it's a starting point.  At least you will get a rough idea of where focus lies.

I also use a 200p on an EQ5 and your set up looks absolutely fine.

Just to double check you are trying to find focus visually? Not using a camera or anything?

I really cant imagine why it isn't working unless there is something going on with the mirrors?

Have you been able to test on the moon yet? I would do this and see through the whole range of your focuser if the image is heading in the 'right direction' for focus. Or if it is changing at all.

What object were you unable to focus on?

Mike

Thanks to all for your advice - I got everything sorted today.  No idea what caused the issue yesterday, but I got back to basics and everything is fine.  I used the daytime Moon as my faraway object, stripped everything back and reapplied it and got it working in no time.  First time I've used a tracking motor to keep an object in shot too which was terrific.

Now to solve the perils of polar alignment so I can get my GoTo operational!! 

IMG_4939.PNG

Edited by Vortexical
  • Like 2