SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Having trouble stacking images

20200208223150_IMG_0735.thumb.JPG.7cda037f7cf1bcb12d9742283aa668c8.JPGIm not exactly new to astrophotography but I am definitely new to stacking images. I first tried deep sky stacker because it seems it's what everyone uses. Almost every time I've tried stacking it only wants to stack 1 image cause of a star detection error. I made the detection threshold so it would detect the most amount of stars and it doesn't help. I read other posts and thought it was a focusing error on the stars so I made sure to focusIMG_20200403_132412.thumb.jpg.a45f870953308e575711cefd0250071c.jpg the image as much as possible and the error still pops up. The Orion nebula picture is one of a data set where I tried to stack and the error came up but the stars are very clearly visible. Any suggestions? 

Hi and welcome to SGL.

DSS should stack your image.

It is over sampled and stars are fairly large when you look at them at 100% zoom level. It might be what is causing DSS.

One of the simplest ways to deal with that would be to tell DSS to use super pixel mode. Maybe try that first?

image.png.3dbb92fc6c8045bf6dae3a1e024958c2.png

Alternatively you could upload your subs (if there is only 7 of them) to some file sharing service and people here can have a go at stacking and then tell you what settings worked for sure.

So I gave that a try and while it did stack the pictures the result was not very likeable I'll try to share my data files. There's over a hundred light files though the 7 were just a test. 

9 hours ago, Tjk01 said:

So I gave that a try and while it did stack the pictures the result was not very likeable I'll try to share my data files. There's over a hundred light files though the 7 were just a test. 

Do share data as it could contain much more than meets the eye. Processing of stacked images is skill in itself.

Please make sure to export as 32bit (fits or tiff) as 16bit format can lead to some data loss if you stacked many subs.