740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

NGC 3344 (Sliced Onion Galaxy) - LRGB

The-MathMog

Because of the current situation, I have, as many of you guys probably have too, spend a lot more time under the stars when possible.

It has literally been over a year since last I was out doing some astrophotography because of work.

So here is my second take after the long break, NGC 3344 (The Sliced Onion Galaxy).

Initially I thought it would be a lot fainter than it was, so it was basically a shot in the dark, of just trying to get back at doing this.

But the final image actually showed a lot more detail than I would've hoped for!

Spring lent a lot of clear night, but those seems to be gone already. I would've hoped for a few more hours to add some more luminance data to it, as I did have to push it quite a bit.
I am not too happy with the shape of the stars either. Guiding was not very stable through the night, even though balance and polar alignment seemed to be good. Might need to update my Celestron PEC data? 

Any advice or feedback is very welcome! 🤩

NGC 3344 (Sliced Onion Galaxy)
Flat and Dark calibrated
Gain 111
Offset 40
Total Integration - 5 Hours 4 minutes  (LRGB)
ZWO ASI 183MM-Pro
Baader 2'' Neodymium Filter
Baader 1,25'' RGB Filters

ZWO Mini EFW
Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
ToupTek Camera G-1200-KMB Mono Guider
Orion Mini 50mm Guidescope

Photoshop CS2
Deep Sky Stacker
Stellarium/Stellarium Scope
Astrotortilla

NGC-3344---Process---2nd.jpg

Edited by The-MathMog
  • Like 10

I'm currently working on this target with my Edge HD scope and strangely enough I also have slanted stars. 

I would try rotating the camera to determine if it's scope/ camera issue. Mine is likely the collimation of the scope although it could be vibration.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By AstroNebulee
      Hi all
      This will hopefully be the new thread for all things regarding the skywatcher Az Gti mount. Please share anything you think is relevant or ask any questions regarding this stunning and very capable mount. I'm hoping that this will become the central hub for this mount and the place to come to for advice, help, information and knowledge for the Az Gti. Share your images of your mount and set up along with images captured or experiences observing with it. I've owned mine since May this year and use it with my sw 72ed ds pro, asi air pro, Canon 600D in EQ mode. Even though its mot meant for astrophotography it sure can pull out some brilliant performances. I live in a 1st floor flat and portability is key for me and the goto functionality is a godsend to setup quickly. So feel free to ask anything and other az gti owners can help and advise. 

• By Gallandro
      Hi.
      I've had a long term interest in astronomy and am just preparing to start getting some gear.
      I've spent a while now doing some research, reading and watching videos.
      I want to get started in visual observing, but I hope to, get into some astrophotography as well at some stage.
      I will definitely always want to be able to do visual, so I can share this with my family, and also I plan to get some decent scope experience for a while doing visual, plus I was thinking in terms of cost, starting out just visual allows me to stage the cost outlay by buying the camera gear later.
      I've mostly settled on the gear I'm looking at getting, but wanted to get some advice on one aspect.
      I am planning on at the start getting a Celestron SCT with a CGX mount plus the SkyPortal WiFi module.
      I was planning on also initially getting the Celestron StarSense.
      My plan for later was to get a not-too-expensive ZWO mono camera (at least to start with), EFW, plus a ZWO mini guide camera and an OAG.
      To manage all this I was planning on using either an AsiAir or Astroberry setup.
      So my question mostly revolves around whether or not the StarSense is effectively a waste in the long run?
      It seems to me that the functions the StarSense performs will end up also being able to be done by the cameras with the AsiAir/Astroberry.
      So instead of spending the money on the StarSense, can I simply earlier on buy the OAG, guide camera and AsiAir (or Astroberry) and then attach the OAG inline with the star diagonal, and then use the guide camera and AsiAir/Astroberry for alignment and mount control, while still doing visual astronomy (i.e. before I actually buy the "proper" main camera"), and thereby obviating the need for the StarSense altogether?
      Or is the idea/setup I've described completely stupid and non-functional in terms of visual observing?
      Can I actually use a guide camera via AsiAir/Astroberry for alignment, or does it have to be the main camera (which I wouldn't have in the initial setup I've described)?
      Hopefully I've explained myself well enough.
      Thanks.
    • By Peter1984
      Hi Guys,
      So I am losing my mind with this Mount. I am having the same issues. For the life of me I can’t work it out. Here is a pic of how my scope is mounted.  Would really appreciate some help as I am increasingly frustrated with this purchase.  Thank you. 

• By AstroMuni
      Hi,
      I updated my RPi 4 to latest version of astroberry v2.0.4 today and been trying to connect my main ASI224mc and ASI120mm mini guide cameras in Ekos. When I connect both the cameras on the USB2 ports only one of them i.e. ASI120mm connects. If I connect the ASI224mc on the USB3 and ASI120mm to USB2 again its only the ASI120 that connects.
      But if I connect both on the USB3 ports on the RPi it connects successfully. I have tried with the ZWO CCD driver and using a combination of ZWO Camera 1, ZWO Camera 2 drivers. In both cases the behaviour is the same.
      It works fine on my Linux Mint laptop using direct connection to the cameras even though the USB ports are USB2 only. Both RPi and Linux are running Kstars 3.5.5 stable.
      Any ideas what is the cause of this?

• By Astro_mark_c
      Hi,
      I have been using the 183 mc pro since September and have trying to find some info on the best gain to use for galaxies and for nebula with the L-extreme.  I have currently been using 53 gain on my asi aie pro app. 
      Kind Regards,
      Mark 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.