Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Circular rainbow around the Venus

I snapped a few photographs of the Venus on 28th evening and surprisingly noticed a circular rainbow like pattern around the Venus. 

I'm attaching  a photo of the Venus and the moon together and another of the Venus with its blown up image as an inset. 
The Venus appears too small in the photo with the Moon appearing on the left side but, this pattern can still be observed when the image is blown up.

I had snapped such photos of Venus earlier and have also done so on the next day but, none of those showed this peculiar/accidental feature.

Could any of you please inspect the photos and let me know weather it's really a rainbow around the Venus or not.

MoonVenus.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

Hi Partha and welcome to The Lounge.

It looks to me like your telescope is simply way out of focus. You need to turn your focus wheel until Venus is as small and sharp as you can get it and the rainbow rings will disappear.

You can get a similar affect on any bright star by adjusting your focuser in or out of sharp focus and you will see such rings around the star.

Edited by Geoff Barnes

Yes, if you look at the Moon it is not in focus either, so get the focus right and the rainbows should largely disappear, depending on whether you scope is an achro or apo.

Looks like the effect you get when an achromatic refractor or camera lens is not in focus. If you use e.g. a camera or smartphone, the fact there is nothing in the centre to focus on can cause this lack of focus easily. Add some post-processing that most cameras and smartphones throw into the mix, and you can easily get such effects