SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another Messier 101 & Plate Solve

Hughsie

My rendition of Messier 101 captured across the four nights of the 23rd, 24th, 25th & 26th March 2020.

This image has been captured using the ZWO ASI1600mm Pro camera using the following Chroma filters;

Red              61 x 120s binned 2x2

Green          77 x 120s binned 2x2

Blue             57 x 120s binned 2x2

Lum             33 x 180s & 55 x 300s binned 1x1

Ha 3nm       92 x 300s binned 1x1

Total integration time 20.4 hours.

This image has been captured using the software Sequence Generator Pro and processed entirely in PixInsight.

Thank you for checking in.

John

M101_HaLRGB_Border.png

Platesolved_Image.jpg

• Like 12

That's a cracking image John, well worth the 20 hours that you put into it. Once I get through quickies (4h-6h) grab and go images for my Messier collection, I'm going to have to start allocating much longer periods on some of them hoping to produce high quality results like yours.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, geoflewis said:

That's a cracking image John, well worth the 20 hours that you put into it. Once I get through quickies (4h-6h) grab and go images for my Messier collection, I'm going to have to start allocating much longer periods on some of them hoping to produce high quality results like yours.

Thank you Geof, your comments are much appreciated.

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ships and Stars said:

Excellent photo! Does anyone know if any (or all) of the pink areas in the spiral arms are emissions nebulae? Or 'star nurseries'? 

The second plate solved image shows that a lot of the pink areas correspond with galaxies in their own right though I imagine there are some areas of star birth in there too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hughsie said:

The second plate solved image shows that a lot of the pink areas correspond with galaxies in their own right though I imagine there are some areas of star birth in there too.

Thank you! Going to read up on this, as a visual observer, I'm generally happy to just resolve some faint structure, the astrophotography opens up a whole new dimension. 👍 

• Thanks 1