Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rima Hyginus and the Lunar V 31.03.2020

Pete Presland

An odd couple of features were nicely positioned last night.

The Rille Rima Hyginus is a remnant of possibly an old underground lava flow, that has collapsed. The Lunar 'V' is a trick of the light on the edge of the crater Ukert.

The usual set up, Celestron C9.25, zwoasi Asi290mm

1231026317_2020_03_3119.12RimaHyginusLunarV.png.143ca8ab35eb5e58063064253d86f88f.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great shot Pete. I was looking at that area last night, the Rima Hyginus looked amazing, and the Treisnecker rilles were also really clear, obviously a good illumination to catch them. Your shot shows them very well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Great shot Pete. I was looking at that area last night, the Rima Hyginus looked amazing, and the Treisnecker rilles were also really clear, obviously a good illumination to catch them. Your shot shows them very well.

I thought i had missed the V, because the X looked like it had almost disappeared. The rilles did look very pronounced last night, like you said the illumination must have been just right.

2 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

I thought i had missed the V, because the X looked like it had almost disappeared. The rilles did look very pronounced last night, like you said the illumination must have been just right.

Yes, I was a bit surprised to see the V so clearly, I think they were at their best from noon until 4pm or thereabouts. Have had some cracking views over the last week. Mrs Stu is pleased that it is cloudy tonight!! 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, I was a bit surprised to see the V so clearly, I think they were at their best from noon until 4pm or thereabouts. Have had some cracking views over the last week. Mrs Stu is pleased that it is cloudy tonight!! 🤣🤣

Don't tell anybody, but i was kind of pleased to have a break as well.

• Haha 1

Probably my favourite part of the moon that is! Crater Hyginus is one of the very few non impact craters on the moon, actually being a volcanic caldera associated  with the rille system that bisects it

• Like 2

I was also looking at the same area last night and the moon was so clear 

I do not have a suitable camera but I took a couple of eye piece shots which I was pleased with

i used my celestron6se my Meade etx 90 and my celestron 15x70 pro binoculars