Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Jarvo

Nagler 3.5 / Esprit 100 combo

Recommended Posts

Hi there. Looking for some feedback. 

Has anybody used the Nagler 3.5 With the Esprit100?

I want to buy the eyepiece but it’s at the limit of useable magnification. 

Any thoughts or comments gladly received 😊

Cheers and stay safe. 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jarvo said:

Hi there. Looking for some feedback. 

Has anybody used the Nagler 3.5 With the Esprit100?

I want to buy the eyepiece but it’s at the limit of useable magnification. 

Any thoughts or comments gladly received 😊

Cheers and stay safe. 

Steve

I would say you are way below the useable limit with a 3.5mm in that scope. 550mm focal length gives x157, the scope will cope with x200 and beyond, x300 if your eyes will take it!

I’ve used a 3.5mm Nagler in a variety of similar, smaller and larger apo refractors, generally a bit slower so giving higher mag/smaller exit pupil and the 3.5mm made a good high power eyepiece in those, so should be fine in yours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Stu - a good 100mm refractor will be comfortable at 200x, 250x and even 300x when the seeing / target allows.

The T6 Naglers are very good eyepieces in all types of scopes. I used to have a full set of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The following table may help (values calculated for your scope):

The Max A"*50 is the theoretical maximum magnification, the Max Dawes is a practical magnification limit.  The exit pupil essentially tell you how bright the image will be, with a larger pupil letting more light into the eye. Note as you get older the ability to increase your eye's pupil size decreases.

 

   
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
   
     
  image.png.039b82fc8deca58e2f32283375ba169f.png  
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
   
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
Edited by BlueAstra
Wrong scope diameter used originally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about it as an example, I have used a Vixen 2.5mm LV, and 2.4mm HR Planetary in my Genesis (500mm focal length, f5) which give x200 and x208 respectively and that was perfectly fine. The optics in your triplet will be better than the old Genesis so more than capable of taking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thinking about it as an example, I have used a Vixen 2.5mm LV, and 2.4mm HR Planetary in my Genesis (500mm focal length, f5) which give x200 and x208 respectively and that was perfectly fine. The optics in your triplet will be better than the old Genesis so more than capable of taking it.

Here's the table for your scope:

image.png.0e38a38702a3b5686e63a196e4a88160.png

 

 

Edited by BlueAstra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Your scope is a quality instrument and should be fine with the 3.5 Nag. The limiting factors in the UK is usually the poor seeing conditions, that can limit the mags you can push. I find my 4 and 5mm eyepiece are used the most . Due to the atmosphere/seeing conditions. If you live in the states or elsewhere with better atmospheric/seeing conditions then can really push the mags more often..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

 

 

Your scope is a quality instrument and should be fine with the 3.5 Nag. The limiting factors in the UK is usually the poor seeing conditions, that can limit the mags you can push. I find my 4 and 5mm eyepiece are used the most . Due to the atmosphere/seeing conditions. If you live in the states or elsewhere with better atmospheric/seeing conditions then can really push the mags more often..

 

 

Yep, don’t forget the Esprit 100 is f5.5, 550mm focal length so needs even shorter focal length eyepieces to get to its maximum powers than your f7.5/900mm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant. Thanks for all the responses Guys you are the best. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My highest power eyepiece in my 100mm F7.4 scope is a 1.6mm Vixen HR giving me 463X. I know it sounds a rediculous power for a 100mm refractor,  but I can tell you the eye relief,  exit pupil and image brightness is great on all counts. Looking at numbers can give a misleading impression. Don't be fearful of pushing your esprite as you'll probably find it will suddenly begin to soar way past your expectations on a steady night. To be perfectly honest, I think you should look at perhapse the Vixen HR or Takahashi TOE series of eyepieces that will really give high definition views. Currently the HR's can be bought from Europe but the Takahashi TOE's are available in the UK. 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.