Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi,currently owned 70mm refractor, want to upgrade and many suggested me to get 6" dobsonian.

The only 6" dob i can find in my country is GSO 150mm/1200mm dob (https://www.opticaluniversescientificinstrument.com/products/gso-6-dobsonian-telescope), is this brand and specs ok?

My main targets is planet and moon, maybe some star, i wonder is it hard to imaging planets? ill be using ccd eyepiece connected to laptop. 

I live in malaysia city area, very less likely i will bring the scope to darker area because its pretty far from my home,and the scope quite big, so its dobsonian suitable for minor light population? 

I heard that that dobsonian can affected by weather and cooling the scope be a big issue? 

hope expert can give some advice. thanks

The 150 Dob is a very nice scope and would suit you well for observing  the planets and Moon. However it is not ideal for imaging as you have no tracking other than manual. It is possible to image the Moon because it is bright and requires short exposure times. 

If you're handy, you can make yourself an equatorial platform to put under the Dob to get decent tracking for planetary imaging for an hour at a time.

As far as seeing, if you're near the coast, you may have excellent seeing owing to laminar flow off the ocean.  Cool down (warm up?) time should be minimal in the tropics.  It's all about the differential between the storage temperature and the observing temperature.  If you're in Canada in the winter, that could be as much as 90 degrees or more.  I've got to think it's much less in Malaysia.

Don't forget to budget for eyepieces and collimation tools as well.

The 152mm Dob is a very good option for visual work. However as noted, it really doesn't work for any imaging. The reason being that it is a completely manual telescope.  Also as noted if you are handy you can build a motorized equatorial platform or you can buy one. They are quite expensive though. Another option would be to buy the Skywatcher AZ-GTi, the EQ wedge for it, and use your 70mm refractor for imaging. This will be a less expensive option than buying a platform if you cannot or do not want to make it. 

Hello Mr GuGuzai

Dobsonians are a great choice, usually size 8 , or 203mm with 1200mm focal lenght is the sweet spot. (https://www.opticaluniversescientificinstrument.com/products/gso-8-deluxe-dobsonian-telescope

or

https://www.opticaluniversescientificinstrument.com/products/duplicate---skywatcher-skyliner-300px-flextube-dobsonian-synscan-go-to-telescope-1-1-1

it depends on your budget at the end. all should do well for planets. I see planets fine in my 130mm and 250mm mirror telescopes. more detail in the latter.

Big mirrors does get affected by weather, change of temperature from warm to cold or vise versa (if telescope is stored inside then you bring it outside for example), it will require allowing the mirror to settle to surrounding temperature in the observing site. some use fans, but around 30 mins of waiting should be fine.

as for imaging, manual dobsonians and any manual Altazimuth mounts will make tracking obejcts hard, as you need long exposures to get good imaging. however some experienced astrophotographers manage to get ok images with dobs.

GSO dobs are great scopes, and a 6" will show you much more than a 70 mm refractor. An 8" even more. Light pollution is not so much a problem for lunar or plantary observing, but you need steady air to see details. While you can experiment with imaging the brightest objects, a dob really isn't suitable for astrophotography, as other have said. But for visual use, a dob gives you the best bang for the buck. Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By merlin100
      The first two photos were taken using my BST StarGuider 3.2mm ED EP. The middle one was using a 25mm MA EP. The last two were taking with a 10mm MA EP. 
      I was just holding the phone to the eyepiece, using the zoom and exposure compensation. I have no control of the ISO with this phone, even using the Open Camera app. 

• By c4llum83
      Found various threads on here and other forums about flocking dobsonians/newtonians but couldn't find specific images of disassembly of the very popular SkyWatcher Heritage 130p flextube and flocking of the OTA.
      So having ordered some DC-Fix black velour sticky back material (can be got from various places including FLO) I thought i'd share some photos of the process from start to finish as it may help someone else in the future... 
      Images below with notes... 
      1. Focuser and shield flocking

This was the easy bit. A strip stuck inside the focuser, and just unscrew the shield, draw round it, cut the material and align and smooth down. In the last image above you can already see the significant improvement on reducing reflections comparing the flocked shield to the unflocked tube... 

Notice my version of Bob's Knobs on the secondary mirror which are just black steel M4 25mm knurled thumbscrews bought off ebay for about £7 - along with the thumbscrews already on the 130P primary mirror this makes any fine collimation easy and completely tool free! 
      For full stealth mode I've also painted the edge and rear of the secondary mirror, and any exposed screw heads with blackboard paint to reduce reflections. 

2. OTA disassembly and tube before

Note the cutout in the lower primary housing and the top ring. This aligns with the ridge of the tube seam, and means there is only one way to reassemble the telescope tube and mirror and one place for the handful of screws (4 at the bottom, 3 at the top). You'll also need an allen key to remove the 3 bolts for the dovetail mount. Simple! 
      Now you're ready to Flock 'N' Roll! 👍🏻

3. Flocking the tube

You'll need approx. 50cmx29cm of the material to do the tube in one go, starting along the seam. As others have described just take your time here, peel off about an inch of the backing and get the edge aligned with the tube seam stick down firmly and smooth out any air bubbles. 
      Then slowly keep peeling more backing (rip and remove if the excess gets in the way) and smooth down as you go, turning the tube and affixing the velour material. 

4. Finished flocking and close up during application so you can see contrast/reflection comparison of before and after.

All in all only took around an hour so not a hard job as long as you prepare and concentrate! I ordered one sheet of 45cm x 1m material which was plenty, however if your not as confident you'll get it right first time then order 2m so you have more to spare if you need to start again. 
      Looks great, so as always I now just need clear skies to go play and see the difference it makes! 
    • By Astro Dave
      I recently decided to give the SynScan app a try on my new Orion XT10g.
      Now using the hand controller I was familiar with the "Brightest Star" and "Two-Star" alignments methods, indeed I always use the Two-Star method.
      With the app however I see that the Two-Star has been replaced with the level north two star.   What is that?  And since there's no manual for the app, what precisely does level north mean?  I'm guessing that you level the OTA and point north but with what precision?  Any idea why that replaces the Two-Star method from the hand controller?
      OK, so fine.  I did the Level North alignment.  I noticed that as it goes to each of the two stars and stops, while waiting for you to center the star, a couple of the directional buttons are flashing.  What's interesting is that the ones flashing are not the ones for the direction that the scope needs to move to center the star.  Again, what's up with this?
      Finally, after aligning and doing a Goto (reasonably accurate), once it arrives at the target again, one of the directional buttons is flashing and there's a message above the object name that says that I'm to center it.   Huh?  
      Can someone help me make sense of all this.  And, is there a manual for this app ??
      Thanks.
    • By Astro Dave
      I recently purchased an Orion XT10g which will be replacing my Evolution mounted EdgeHD 8 and a 10" Zhummel Dob.
      This scope will give me the extra aperture that the Zhummel has as well as the tracking and GoTo of the Evolution.
      I made a few upgrades before I took it out for its first night under the stars...
      Center spotted the primary with Catseye's Hotspot (already have set of their collimation tools) Installed Protostar FlockBoard along the full length of the tube Replaced the focuser with a Moonlight CR focuser  Added a couple Farpoint lifting straps Added Bob's Knobs to the secondary holder.  
      Last night it had its first light.  Overall I'm quite happy.  
      Collimation was easy as expected using Catseye's tools.  
      Alignment (two-star) was similarly quite quick and easy.  Objects were found easily and well within, if not near the center of my lowest power, widest field eyepiece (17mm Ethos)
      Skies were clear and transparency was above average.  Seeing wasn't the best so I kept to low powers.  Very impressed with the optical quality.  
      Using my GSO coma corrector I got near perfect images even at the edge of a 100º field of view.  As was the case with my Zhummel Z10, the GSO corrector is plug-and-play.  No need to do any adjusting or fiddling.  
      Panning around via the hand controller was very smooth.  No backlash noted.  
      Now the only issue that I have is that the azimuth movement, manually that is, is very stiff.  Stiff to the point of really not possible without toppling the whole scope over.  I've already raised this concern with Orion and they are sending a new base out to me.
      I'm hopeful that issue will be fixed. 

• By Deltox
      Hi all,
      I'm trying to get back into astronomy (had a Meade DS 2090 Mak when I was 10 but was too young to get into it) and I'm having a very hard time choosing a telescope.
      My main goal is to observe a bit of everything. Planets and the moon are great and I definitely would want to observe them, but my main focus would be DSO's. That being said, I would also like to have the possibility of doing some basic astrophotography afterwards. Not expecting to do 2 hours of long exposure and getting some insane images, but having a telescope (or rather a mount?) that can track would be nice to get some decent images. Basically, visual observation is a must, AP would be great but only basic, no need to get one JUST for that. I realize that visual observing and AP are 2 very different things, but my question is if it is possible to find something that is mainly used for VO and is somewhat capable (even if it's not great) to do AP with. Furthermore, a push to or goto would be fantastic as well since I'm not too familiar with the night sky. Is it really difficult to find DSOs yourself without reading and learning for hours and hours?
      My budget would be around 800 euros, that is everything included, telescope, mount, eyepieces etc... (If it's a little bit more than that that's fine as well).
      After hours of doubt and searching I thought the Orion Skyquest Xt8 Intelliscope would be good (push to) (around 750 euros), however being like most dobsonians, this one wouldn't track. This made me think :
      Should I rather look for a newtonian reflector with an EQ mount, or just give up my basic AP wish and go for a dobsonian that doesn't track? Some people have suggested to drop AP for now and go for the dob, is there a possibilty to upgrade later to make the dob work for AP, like putting it on an EQ mount, or would I have to buy a new telescope again?
      Any telescope, mount and added equipment like eyepieces and filter suggestions would be reaaaally appreciated, cause everything just feels overwhelming and I don't know what to look for anymore.
      Thanks in advance!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.