Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8" SCT Owners Favourite Eyepiece's

I've not owned an 8" SCT for a while now but when I did have one, an older Celestron C8+, I got some of the best views of Saturn I've ever had using an 8mm Tele Vue plossl. The views at 250x on one particular evening were absolutely stunning with almost photographic levels of detail visible crisply and constantly through the whole session. A memorable occasion :smiley:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C8 is my work horse for most of the observing, here's my favorite eyepieces depending on targets:

1. Baader 31mm Aspheric, the default finder eyepiece, also for most galaxies, nebulas of size between 2' to 0.5°

2. Leica Zoom 8.8mm to 17.6mm, galaxies and nebulas of size smaller than 2', open clusters or globula clusters of various sizes, Moon, planetary and double stars(a barlow might be involved here too).

3. Skywatcher 40mm Aero, for large galaxies or nebulas.

Edit:

Here's a link to Don Pensack's comments about how he used an 8", 9300 objects in 11 years! We have literally a life time scope :smiley:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/522062-premium-optics-vs-mass-produced-optics/?p=6962401

Archived