Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMod with Synscan goto DOB ?

Once again I've been scouring the forum and Internet for something, but with no luck so far.......

I'd like to use EQmod and/or Stellarium to control my skywatcher 300p flextube dobsonian goto, instead of the hand controller.

I know that EQMod is designed to control skywatcher EQ mounts, but could it be used with Skywatcher Synscan GoTo AltAz mounts, like the Dobsonian goto ?

The (standard) skywatcher hand controller recognises what it has been plugged into and does the alignment accordingly, for an EQ mount or an AltAz mount.

I was wondering if I plug my EQmod USB adapter lead into my  goto Dob, would it be able to sync to that AltAz mode ?

Failing that, I assume (hopefully !), that it will at least connect directly to Stellarium using a standard skywatcher serial cable (and USB converter), so that I can control the mount with a PC, rather than the hand controller ?

I know I could just try it, but I was hoping to find a youtube vid where someone had controlled a skywatcher goto Dob with their computer, but no luck so far.

EQMOD is for Synscan eq mounts only, so won't work with the alt-az mount. If you don't want to connect through the handset you could use the Synscan WiFi adapter and Synscan wifi drivers, which plugs in to the mount's handset port. The handset can also be used as a basic interface between the pc and mount and still control the mount through a planetarium programme. 

• Like 1

Thanks Peter,  I wondered if the "EQ" prefix of EQMOD was the showstopper.

I had the vain hope that the common Synscan controller might have mitigated that.

As you suggest, I'll connect through the handset controller's port and persevere with Stellarium's direct cable connection.

• 1 year later...