Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First eyepiece purchase advice

aashwin

I got my lovely Meade Lightbridge 8" a couple of days ago and am looking forward to trying out properly tonight. It came with a "26mm QX™ Wide Angle 2-inch Eyepiece with a 2-inch barrel, boasting a whopping 70° Apparent Field of View".

Being such a wide-angle eyepiece, I assume it is of low magnification (sorry, I am such a n00b).

If I were to buy just one extra eyepiece for the time being, what would you advise? I don't want to spend silly money, something around £40 to £60 would be okay.

One more thing... are there any other Lightbridge owners on this forum? I ask because mine came with the 2" eyepiece and there is an addendum the manual that says that to achieve focus with this eyepiece, you need to use the 35mm extender tube. I tried this and could NOT achieve focus on a star in Orion's belt. I took the extender out and got focussed no problem. Anyone else had this?

I use the Hyperion range from Baader in my Lightbridge.

I use them in their 1.25" nopepiece form as I find I need an extention of about 10mm to use their 2" form but I have no extention yet so it's no problem.

As for quality these are awesome eyepieces.

They are £78 so maybe slightly out of budget.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hyperion

Thanks for the info Doc. Perhaps those are a bit too expensive for me though.

In terms of magnification, I suppose I should get something like a 15mm (or less?) to compliment the 26mm EP I already have.

I don't really understand the mm/mag stuff - I will read my astronomy book. Talking of which, I managed to get "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" for £2.88 plus £2.79 p&p! It is in near-perfect condition and was around £30 everywhere else! :)

Your scope has a focal length of 1219mm so your 26mm gives a mag of x47. So a 10mm woukd give you a mag of x122 which would be ideal to bring out details on jupiter and Saturn.

That makes sense.

What about a 2X Barlow? That would make my 26mm give a mag of x94.

I have just read a bit of my book and it looks like one more EP and a Barlow may be an economical way to get me going. But I need to make sure that I pick the right EPs, otherwise the Barlow could make one of them redundant...

Don't get too hung up on magnification, it is appropriate for the moon and the planets but not much else.

I have a 12" dobsonian and mostly use a 32mm (x47) or a 20mm (x75) for looking at DSOs. If the seeing is good and the object merits it, the 10mm (x150) is about as much as I'd use. For anything very faint, the lower the magnification the better.

Mike

Don't get too hung up on magnification, it is appropriate for the moon and the planets but not much else.

Too true Mike ! - I think a telescope should be primariliy seen as a light gathering tool rather than a magnifying one.

Most of my viewing is done at low to medium power and the best views of planets that I have had have usually been at a magnification well below the max that the scope is theoretically capable of.

John

If you have a 26 mm I would get a good 10mm and a good 2x Barlow. that would give you 47x for widefield and DSO's 94x, 122x and 244x for the moon and planets in variable seeing condotions.

I like your thinking. However, as my current 26mm EP is 2", I would not be able to use it wih a regular 1.25" Barlow...

I've just found somewhere I can get a set of two Meade 4000 EPs (9.7mm & 26mm) for £39 delivered!

Elsewhere I have found the same two EPs for over £40 each - seems a bit strange...

Thing is I already have a 26mm EP but as it is a 2" one I will not be able to use it with a Barlow. So I guess it kind of makes sense to buy this set, don't you think?

:)

Archived