SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remains of a Lunar V and X

Stu

Just had a quick few minutes on the Moon again this evening and it looks like the Lunar V is visible, with a fairly overcooked X which can be made out too. I guess it was properly visible a few hours back?

74C855AE-16D9-4A95-B93A-B2E4DAFF23FA.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice shot Stu :thumbright:

The Triesnecker Rilles are looking superb tonight with the 130 triplet. A real "cats cradle" at 375x.

Not forecast clear skies either !

Glad I put the scope out for the photo session earlier.

20 minutes ago, John said:

Nice shot Stu :thumbright:

The Triesnecker Rilles are looking superb tonight with the 130 triplet. A real "cats cradle" at 375x.

Not forecast clear skies either !

Glad I put the scope out for the photo session earlier.

Yes, just looking at Triesnecker now, lovely!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

Missed them both !

Just been taking a call from my mum though so can't be helped.

Shame, but Mothers come first! I got a heads up on Facebook and was observing just at the right time :)

Those Treisnecker rilles are looking great! I jacked the mag up to x246 on the Tak and there are plenty to see aren’t there?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

.....and then ISS! Amazing!

Anyone else see that?

Hi Stu,

I managed to get a look at ISS, by total luck. I had the scope out from about 5pm so it was all set up. I came out of the back door to see a bright light travelling across the sky, it looked like venus. I managed to chase it with the finder then get it In the eye piece. I only had my 12mm bst in the focuser giving me x100 mag from the last time I was out, however I got a clear but short view of ISS. Stunning seeing that silhouette in the eye piece!

Has it been going over recently?? I took a video recording on my phone last week of a very bright point of light travelling across the sky which again looked around the size and brightness of Venus.

Baz

13 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Has it been going over recently?? I took a video recording on my phone last week of a very bright point of light travelling across the sky which again looked around the size and brightness of Venus.

Yes, it’s been doing fairly regular passes recently. It’s the brightest thing up there now that there are no Iridium flares any more.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thanks Stu..  after reading your post and before starting on M3 caught this through the Esprit100/ASI1600..  as you said you can just see the vestiges of them 

DaveEDDE8884-4157-4A77-8811-5C003C4110F6.thumb.jpeg.5d0c14e9823b3211d05e5834c3df9bf0.jpeg

Thanks for that Dave, great shot! 👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, it’s been doing fairly regular passes recently. It’s the brightest thing up there now that there are no Iridium flares any more.

That will explain what I have been seeing go over then. I will have to check out when it is next due to go over and setup the scope. It would be great to get a longer view of it if I prepare well.

Cheers stu

Don’t you have sky safari Baz? Mine gives an alarm every time it peeps over the horizon- been tracking it past few evenings with the scope and a wa ep- I don’t think you stand much chance with much magnification by hand. Can see the solar panels though which is pretty cool. It doesn’t half shift!

7 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

That will explain what I have been seeing go over then. I will have to check out when it is next due to go over and setup the scope. It would be great to get a longer view of it if I prepare well.

Cheers stu

Yep, as Mark says, SkySafari will do it for you, or check Heavens- above which will give a list of passes.

There are two showing for tonight, it orbits about every 90 minutes so when it is well positioned you can see multiple passes a night.

Looks like 21.32 and 23.09 tonight. Worth a look.

I’ve tracked it in various scopes up to around x60 or so mag I think. Last night I was at x100 when it shot across the Moon, lovely detail for about 0.5 seconds! 🤣🤣

3826387E-2669-48D8-8E98-8EB7F3BDE96C.png

999CF3C1-CCAC-4CA3-9173-42BB99FC3E0E.png