Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81, M82 and a bit of IFN

ShineOn

This was my main project during last week’s clear skies. Collected over 3 nights, it acted as a 'first light' with my dual imaging rig and also the ZWO ASI 2600MC. allowing me to capture data simultaneously using different filters. As I was able to collect around 24 hours worth of data, I was very happy to discover a faint wisp of the Integrated Flux Nebula in processing. These patches of diffuse gas and dust lie within our own galaxy and can (hopefully!) be seen on here as faint bands between the galaxies and above and to the right of M81.

Although the respective fields of view are quite similar with these scope / camera combos, my alignment is not quite true so I had to carefully frame the object so as to capture both galaxies on both chips.  Consequently I had to crop quite a lot of sky which was a shame.  Might need to consider some kind of tilt adjusting device to achieve perfect alignment.  This one looks like it could do the job if anyone has any experience?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/jtd-dual-rig-telescope-alignment-saddle.html

Full image details:

RGB  – 264 x 3mins using MN190 / ZWO ASI 2600MC

Luminance – 105 x 5 mins using Tak 85 @ f5.3 / Atik 460ex

Ha – 14 x 10 mins using Tak 85 @ f5.3 / Atik 460ex

Guided with ZWO ASI 224 MC / phd2

Data captured with Sequence Generator Pro

Stacked with DSS

Data sets aligned in Registar

Processed with PS CS5

HaLRGB_M81_M82.png

• Like 16