SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece questions

BadgerD

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Did someone mention RAS eyepieces. 😁

Ah, the eye lens on that 0.183-inch (4.6 mm) eyepiece should provide comfortable viewing with my new Tak 🙂

Gotta love all that Dymo tape too 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

First time around all my eyepieces were 1 1/4 inch RAS threaded.  On my recent return there appear to be no threaded eyepieces for astronomy.

What happened, when and why?

Thanks.

Progress?🤔 Frozen eyeball to the eyepiece?😂

5 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

First time around all my eyepieces were 1 1/4 inch RAS threaded.  On my recent return there appear to be no threaded eyepieces for astronomy.

What happened, when and why?

Thanks.

They probably went out about the same time as threaded lenses for cameras when bayonet mounts became popular in the 70s.

On 01/04/2020 at 00:15, Don Pensack said:

I seem to recall some early Questars, Bushnells, and even a Celestron with threaded-in eyepieces.

But I haven't seen one since the '80s.

There are some old 1960's Questars eyepieces for sale on Cloudy Nights at the moment. Whether they are the screw in eyepieces I don't know.

David

• 1 year later...

I've a Elliot terrestrial telescope and I've made a non-destructive change by using Beacon Hill to make a RAS - 1 1/4" adaptor which fits onto the draw tube of the 'scope. However the  "right -way around adaptor" isDSCF0111.thumb.JPG.6cd03bcba6457482c6d894ec27f63186.JPG fitted with RAS lenses and is quite dark - so I'm wondering what, if any, option I have to modify this part of the telescope.

The images show the elements of the right-way around section - each barrel contains two lenses and the barrel furtherest away from the eyepiece has a stop.

The other image shows the telescope changed to take a webcam or DSLR

Any and all comments welcome

regards

P9070021.JPG

• Like 1