Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Smartphone Holder Woes...

I got a cheap and cheerful smartphone holder from eBay last week, to attach to the EP.  It's a clamp on job, but I'm having difficulties with it.   I can't get the alignment and image size that I want. I certainly don't want it to look like I'm looking down a black tube, as in the photograph.  Any ideas?

20200329_192738.thumb.jpg.88587b9ac1272825e96645c7a46b2406.jpg

On 02/04/2020 at 19:08, Stu said:

Looks like a daylight shot, which will always show either the focus tube or eyepiece field stop. Cropping is your friend ;), quick tweak here.

It was indeed a daytime shot.

I have just got one of them cheap cell phone holders off the bay,got it set up ready so just put my phone in the holder ,then holder onto the lens,the lens in the holder of the scope. I get the same  type of tube image looking on the phone screen ,So what i'm thinking of  doing   IS to 2x zoom so i can't see the tube, set the shutter to 3sec delay and try that, i aye to bothered  if it don't work as its trial and error,and like someone said here  croping is a good friend .

I dont know much about photography anyway  (come to that i doe know much about anything)

Edited by BLUEThumb
Spelling mistake

Just now, BLUEThumb said:

I have just got one of them cheap cell phone holders off the bay,got it set up ready so just put my phone in the holder ,then holder onto the lens,the lens in the holder of the scope. I get the same  type of tube image looking on the phone screen ,So what i'm thinking of  doing   IS to 2x zoom so i can't see the tube, set the shutter to 3sec delay and try that, i aye to bothered  if it don't work as its trial and error,and like someone said here  croping is a good friend .

OP, can you adjust the Z-axis on your holder? (I.e. moving the phone towards and away from the eyepiece). If you cannot, you could try adjusting the holder's clamping position.

I would also try and fold down the eyepiece's eyeguard (if it has one) and move it a bit closer to the camera lens.

What focal length is the eyepiece? Try to use a larger one and barlow it (x2) .

There is very little adjustment of the Z axis, but I have got it sorted now.  The eye cup is folded back, so that isn't causing any problems.  I discovered a video where it was recommended to use a short focal length of eyepiece, so I'm not using a 10mm instead of the 25mm.