Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar aligning for observing.

While not a prerequisite for visual use proper alignment can make the experience more relaxing. I have spent a whole evening looking at Jupiter, for example, and not having to fiddle with the scope makes it pretty nice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theropod said:

While not a prerequisite for visual use proper alignment can make the experience more relaxing. I have spent a whole evening looking at Jupiter, for example, and not having to fiddle with the scope makes it pretty nice.

Yes I’m sure you are right but it was just a short observation session I was thinking about and the less setting up makes it easier, especially if the clouds appear 😒

Don’t talk to me about clouds. We have had a total of 4 semi clear nights since January first. Two of those were during the full, or near full, moon phases.

I’m not suggesting that PA is a requisite, but rather a plus if a long night of looking at just a few targets, or one, is the idea.

• Like 1

if u do you only have to use the slow motion control on one axis so its worth doing, your polar alignment doesn't have to be perfect. if u have the polar scope just put Polaris dead center of the cross hairs.

if u have a eq2 type with no polar scope just point the shaft to Polaris and again its close enough u will manilly use 1 control and the other just a bit only.

joejaguar

I would have said you need to do some level of polar alignment.

An equitorial mount is intended or meant to be polar aligned so has to benefit from some polar alignment. For a quick observing it would seem to be of use to at least aim the correct leg at Polaris, level the mount at least slightly and if polaris is in view then at least place it in the polar scope circle. In the centre it will be close enough for visual and would add minimal additional time to the general setup.

If the mount is a goto then at least set poaris in the centre. Otherwise the system may be too far out for it to run.