SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads Up!! WL Active region rotating into view!

Fozzie

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Will have a look Alan. I think there are dense patches of granulation which can catch your eye at times, but aren’t necessarily spots. Seeing not great here but I’ll have a try

Stu, I will be interested what you think.
Definite Granulation and with the Continuum and Polariser something else comes and goes and I am sure it's not a floater!
Could of course be averted imagination, we all fall for that one from time to time.

Nice to be in the garden, sunshine and some WL activity, just the tonic......mmmm where's the Gin? 

42 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Stu, I will be interested what you think.
Definite Granulation and with the Continuum and Polariser something else comes and goes and I am sure it's not a floater!
Could of course be averted imagination, we all fall for that one from time to time.

Nice to be in the garden, sunshine and some WL activity, just the tonic......mmmm where's the Gin? 

I do see what you are looking at Alan. I think it is just some fairly dense granulation cells. I don't see any spots but can see an area of strong swirls with a few tight knots in it. They evolve quite quickly so I suspect it will change over a short period but there definitely seems to be tighter granulation in that area.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

I do see what you are looking at Alan. I think it is just some fairly dense granulation cells. I don't see any spots but can see an area of strong swirls with a few tight knots in it. They evolve quite quickly so I suspect it will change over a short period but there definitely seems to be tighter granulation in that area.

Thanks Stu, that makes sense and far more sensible than claiming a sunspot.

Looks like more activity near the second spot, some tiny spots forming amongst the granulation I think, 3 or 4 of them. Another above the larger spot too.

Alan’s feature is still there I think, more definite than before. The seeing is improving as it often does towards evening, lovely granulation visible now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Well, very impressed with what you’re all seeing in white light. Seeing’s deteriorated sharply. Switched from ha to wedge an hour ago and can barely make out any detail.

It got bad for a while Mark, making it hard to pick up the AR but it got a lot better towards sunset as I do often find. Worth looking then even if it is counter intuitive given the low altitude.

• Like 2

Quite an odd observing experience. I really struggled to find the spot. Seems much small than this morning. I couldn’t go very high magnification wise, 100-125x. However, I saw the granulation much clearer than I’ve ever seen it before. Absolutely amazing. Having the spot to focus on really helped me to focus on the granulation. Without other surface features I’ve really struggled to find the focus point with my eye to see granulation. Good seeing was, of course, a big help. When I went with high powers, the surface seemed more textured, more variation in contrast across the surface but it wasn’t the same thing as what I saw today. A good learning experience for sure.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Quite an odd observing experience. I really struggled to find the spot. Seems much small than this morning. I couldn’t go very high magnification wise, 100-125x. However, I saw the granulation much clearer than I’ve ever seen it before. Absolutely amazing. Having the spot to focus on really helped me to focus on the granulation. Without other surface features I’ve really struggled to find the focus point with my eye to see granulation. Good seeing was, of course, a big help. When I went with high powers, the surface seemed more textured, more variation in contrast across the surface but it wasn’t the same thing as what I saw today. A good learning experience for sure.  

I had exactly the same experience, the seeing was very varied but settled down occasionally to show really impressive granulation. The spots have shrunk to something really tiny, I couldn't find them visually but got them with the asi120. This is a 320x320 stack, 15% of 25k frames with 130PDS (650mm f). Im really pleased to have finally seen a sunspot, I was forgetting what they looked like, its been so long! :D 

16_12_25.png.0f645ea51f6dc6b34841672179c3b3fd.png

John

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Good stuff Neil. I totally agree with your experience, at times when I went back to the scope I struggled to find the spot, so I guess it has got smaller but also more complex due to the additional smaller spots which seem to be forming.

Granulation can be amazing when the seeing is excellent, I can quite happily gaze at a completely blank disk for a long time, watching the granulation patterns swirling around. I think it is strongest in the centre of the disk where you are effectively looking directly into the cells so perhaps the contrast is higher there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good stuff Neil. I totally agree with your experience, at times when I went back to the scope I struggled to find the spot, so I guess it has got smaller but also more complex due to the additional smaller spots which seem to be forming.

Granulation can be amazing when the seeing is excellent, I can quite happily gaze at a completely blank disk for a long time, watching the granulation patterns swirling around. I think it is strongest in the centre of the disk where you are effectively looking directly into the cells so perhaps the contrast is higher there.

Cheers Stu. As you know, I’ve puzzled over granulation for awhile now. Felt like a big step forwards to see it today. More than anything, I have an idea of what to look for. Thanks for all the advice along the way. I can’t promise there won’t be more questions though 😉

12 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Cheers Stu. As you know, I’ve puzzled over granulation for awhile now. Felt like a big step forwards to see it today. More than anything, I have an idea of what to look for. Thanks for all the advice along the way. I can’t promise there won’t be more questions though 😉

Ask away, happy to help if I can though now you’ve seen it, it will be much easier in future. I do see it most times I observe, but sometimes it is dramatically better than others. Today was quite good at times, just wait till you get some excellent seeing. I think that’s why many people find white light solar boring, they just aren’t seeing the detail that is there. Today wherever I looked I was seeing swirling patterns and quite a few tighter patches of granulation such as that which Alan pointed out.

• Like 2

It was quite a day wasn't it.
On off seeing, even when so clear a sky.
But being in the sunshine, having the time to truly observe has been wonderful.

I truly hope the solar minimum is over and we all slowly get more to observe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Aren’t you doing this with an Equinox 80 Neil?  If so, to get the results you have today is impressive. Such a great scope - certainly punches above its weight

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Aren’t you doing this with an Equinox 80 Neil?  If so, to get the results you have today is impressive. Such a great scope - certainly punches above its weight

Hi Mark. I certainly am. I’m super happy with it too. Solar, widefield and packs down into a backpack for carry on luggage. It’s my first refractor so it’s hard to judge it’s performance but seems mighty good to me. 

A good 80mm will certainly give excellent results with a Herschel Wedge. I think somewhere between 80 and 120mm is about optimum in terms of resolution a ability to deal with the seeing. I’m certainly happy with my 100mm.

In terms of the AR, I suspect we will all be disappointed today; I can’t find it! Most I could see was two dense knots of granulation which may be the remnants of the two spots but can’t be sure. I had a good trawl around and couldn’t pick anything else up but it’s always possible I missed it. Would be interested to hear if anyone else can find it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

A good 80mm will certainly give excellent results with a Herschel Wedge. I think somewhere between 80 and 120mm is about optimum in terms of resolution a ability to deal with the seeing. I’m certainly happy with my 100mm.

In terms of the AR, I suspect we will all be disappointed today; I can’t find it! Most I could see was two dense knots of granulation which may be the remnants of the two spots but can’t be sure. I had a good trawl around and couldn’t pick anything else up but it’s always possible I missed it. Would be interested to hear if anyone else can find it!

Had a quick look too this morning but couldn’t see it. As it was quite tricky late yesterday I was waiting to see if it was me or it has now gone. Sounds like the later though. It’s kept me entertained these last few days so no complaints. 

I tried to observe in WL yesterday but failed to see any AR. However, when I switched to the PST I could see some plage in the appropriate area. Turning the tuner almost to WL I could not see any spots.

I have to admit that although I have enjoyed using my Skywatcher 150P with a solar filter I look back and so wish I still had my 4" Astro Tech ED frac. I used this frac with a Herschel Wedge and binoviewers and the solar views were always first class. I keep thinking about a new frac and wonder whether it should be an 80mm or 100mm. I have little knowledge on the quality of an Achro and wonder whether this might be okay for solar only.

• Like 1

I could see two spots about 11am today in the 152 at about 90x. Not as black as sunspots though. It looked like there was another fainter pair to the bottom left. The seeing was pretty mediocre though.

Edited by astro_al
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I tried to observe in WL yesterday but failed to see any AR. However, when I switched to the PST I could see some plage in the appropriate area. Turning the tuner almost to WL I could not see any spots.

I have to admit that although I have enjoyed using my Skywatcher 150P with a solar filter I look back and so wish I still had my 4" Astro Tech ED frac. I used this frac with a Herschel Wedge and binoviewers and the solar views were always first class. I keep thinking about a new frac and wonder whether it should be an 80mm or 100mm. I have little knowledge on the quality of an Achro and wonder whether this might be okay for solar only.

Mark, I think a well corrected achro like a TAL 100 or better one of the 102 f11s would work well for solar with a Herschel Wedge. It is often the spherical aberration that kills the detail in fast achros, and that should be well corrected in these scopes. I would certainly go for a 100mm if you can, just that bit more resolution than an 80, although I’ve had excellent views in the smaller scopes so if they are more manageable and would get more regular use, that would work well too. My TV85 was excellent, and Neil is getting good results with his 80mm.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, astro_al said:

I could see two spots about 11am today in the 152 at about 90x. Not as black as sunspots though. It looked like there was another fainter pair to the bottom left. The seeing was pretty mediocre though.

Yes, I could see two patches but as said they appeared to be more dense granulation rather than spots. Will look again later.

• Like 1

I have seen the spots again today, but they come and go from view and the granulation looks to be in motion.
Put together with the seeing, which is not so good a challenge.

The spots have moved about a bit and look to be smaller, but the again I am using lower magnification to cope with the conditions.
The spots have not gone, just being shy and take some observing to catch them, but catch them you will.

Edited by Alan White
added words
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I have seen the spots again today, but they come and go from view and the granulation looks to be in motion.
Put together with the seeing, which is not so good a challenge.

The spots have moved about a bit and look to be smaller, but the again I am using lower magnification to cope with the conditions.
The spots have not gone, just being shy and take some observing to catch them, but catch them you will.

Yep, agreed! I’ve just had another look after my previous post and the seeing had improved markedly and I found the AR. Not sure I was in the right place before. I could see 5 or more ‘spots’, not black but more penumbral in density. They are roughly in a line, 2 then 3. There is plenty of detail to be had, swirling in the granulation surrounding it as Alan says.

Times like this really make me know why I’ve got a fine focuser (in both senses of the word ie FT and dual speed). The difference between being in focus and seeing the granulation and being out and not really seeing it is a very small adjustment on the fine focus knob. Essential kit for solar as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 2

Tremendous views here now, really strong granulation visible. Quite a few faint features around, spots or not is debatable but certainly darkened markings. I could also see a kind of three pointed propeller shape in the granulation near the main spots.

I mentioned focus in a post just now. I just had an interesting experience where I had focused on the limb yet still couldn’t see any granulation or detail. I panned the scope looking for the AR and suddenly my eye caught the detail and it all snapped into focus. Quite a strange effect, but one worth noting if you don’t see anything initially, perhaps you eye is not quite catching it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

mentioned focus in a post just now. I just had an interesting experience where I had focused on the limb yet still couldn’t see any granulation or detail. I panned the scope looking for the AR and suddenly my eye caught the detail and it all snapped into focus. Quite a strange effect, but one worth noting if you don’t see anything initially, perhaps you eye is not quite catching it.

This is exactly what I’ve been experiencing. It’s as much a challenge of your eye finding the right focal point. This is where have spots really helped with seeing granulation, for me at least. 

• Like 1