Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

first light, slightly dissappointed

Keithp

Cheers MartinB. Today the moon tomorrow...wait till the SLR arrives later in the year after Christmas recovery.

Then I'll hook up one of my spare computers and motorize the scope, can't wait

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I need to get the title changed for this thread, maybe something along the lines of 'Trying to run before I can walk!'.

Just been out (-3C already) and got a load more pictures of the moon, this time with varying results. But the ones with the 10mm lense are a bit dimmer, but I think I know the reason why. Which is the best forum to post to regarding these and also so I don't want to overladen this one with my newbie wows.

Many thanks to MartinB for tolerating my enthusiasm with the moon pic, even after I realised (I think) its upside down. Got to get me a moon map as I think at the moment for wow factor its where its at.

Luna/Solar forum ? (but they have expert pictures compared to mine)

Regards

All

Which is the best forum to post to regarding these...

Imaging - Image Processing, Help & Techniques might be the place.

The forum description reads: "Post an image in here for specific help on what may have gone wrong. Do not post an imagine in here and moan that people said it needs improvement. Don't forget as many details about the equipment used, settings and oberving conditions as possible should be posted."

Does that sound like what you're looking for, Keith?

Many thanks for the reply Talitha, I think I know what the problem is regarding the results I had tonight, higher magnification = less light

I can see it but the camera cannot.

Not so much a request for help as I didn't want to overload this thread with my 'new found' imaging capabilities and get posting to the wrong forum. The start of this was my dissapointment with the things I could /could not see, I can appreciate now, having seen what I have, that I need to be a bit more patient. I was just looking for somewhere to post to and accepting any critique, just didn't want to post to the wrong one.

I like the problem solving and rewards (personal) when sorting it out.

Saturns up shortly, may just stay up and give it a go

Does that make sense?

Bear in mind I'm a total newbie at this, but when I compare my first images of the moon taken with my Fuji s5700 on a tripod zoomed to the optical max and then what I can achieve now is like 'one giant leap for mankind' :)

By the way.. like the picture, you look striking

Regards

All

higher magnification = less light

Yes, higher magnification does mean less light.. not only photographically but visually, too. As you zoom in closer and closer by kicking the magnification up, it reduces the eyepiece's exit pupil which means less light gets through to your eye or the camera.

I came across the same problem when using my 5mm ep (400x, f/10 8" SCT) for visual lunar work. The ep gave me the desired 400x to take advantage of some better than average seeing, but the fov was small and made the lunar features a bit too dark.

The problem was solved by using a 13.8mm SWA ep and a 2.8x Barlow. It gives almost the same magnification (404x) but the fov is a lot wider which lets more light through and brightens things up.

Maybe something similar could be done photographically, I'm not sure.

Saturns up shortly, may just stay up and give it a go

The rings are nearly edge-on right now, so don't think there's anything's wrong with your scope if you can't see them. They'll begin opening up again after 4 Sept.

p.s. Thank you for the lovely compliment

Archived