NGC4274 & Co - rarely imaged galaxies in Coma Berenices

gorann

For some reason these lovely galaxies seem to be rarely imaged (at least when I search Astronbin). Here are data from last night. The night was very clear and SQM showed 21.5, but it was quite windy. Most of it was collected with my Esprit 150 with ASI071 on the Mesu 200 (33 x 10 min at gain 200) which took the gusty winds quite well. About 50% of the data in NGC4274 and NGC4278 are from my 14" Meade (with the Sony A7s) on the EQ8, which due to its size and enormous dew shield was fighting more with the winds. Totally 10.2 hours.

There are so many galaxies in there that there should also be a plate solved annotated image for the major ones but that is for later unless some volunteer to do it.

Time for dinner and to find new galaxies to point at tonight!

20200328 NGC4274 RGB PS20smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 12

Very attractive group, and good detail in the individual galaxies.  I suspect these aren't imaged often because in most images that are around they are a bit lacklustre.  But a nice variety, NGC 4274 is particularly interesting when imaged with a larger telescope, for example this image from Adam Block with a 20".  NGC 4314 again looks interesting but fairly nondescript until you get up close and personal!  This image shows more detail and mentions the starburst ring.  But when Hubble takes a peek - wow!

Cheers,

Peter

1 hour ago, petevasey said:

Very attractive group, and good detail in the individual galaxies.  I suspect these aren't imaged often because in most images that are around they are a bit lacklustre.  But a nice variety, NGC 4274 is particularly interesting when imaged with a larger telescope, for example this image from Adam Block with a 20".  NGC 4314 again looks interesting but fairly nondescript until you get up close and personal!  This image shows more detail and mentions the starburst ring.  But when Hubble takes a peek - wow!

Cheers,

Peter

I will get back to these one less windy night when my 14" would not wobble so much (I need 0.3"/pix guiding and not the >1 that I had last night), and then maybe even get fairly close to Adam's resolution. With 3.5 m FL you really need tight guiding. Last night the "widefield" of my Esprit saved the night and not even Hubble can compete with that FOV😉.

Edited by gorann