Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 200P EQ5 mount to dobsonian mount?

Wondering if I could modify my Skywatcher 200P (200mm / 1000mm) so it could fit on a Dobsonian mount? 

I notice the 200P Skyliner with the Dobsonian has a slightly longer focal length of 1200mm. 

If so how can I do it and which Skywatcher Dobsonian mount do I need to get? Ideally I'd like to find one second hand. 

I'd still want to be able to use the 200P with the EQ5. 

Thanks

Edited by skyking_comms

Normally it’s easier to do that from A dob to an EQ mount because you just have to add two rings in a vixen bar and that’s it however you’re trying to do it backwards which means you need the round bearings and then you have to mount it on the OTA where is balance perfect and then you have to build yourself a base so I definitely think it’s harder this way did the reverse

joejaguar 

If you going to get a complete new outfit, then go for SW 250 flex dob

Easy to transport, and both dob and mount fit nicely on back seat of my SUV,when doing presentations in primary schools, scout groups with my club

Have attached pic of my dob taken at a recent public viewing club night

In background is 200 flex dob with shroud 

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg

Edited by cletrac1922
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies - you have convinced me not to convert the scope for the dob. If it had have been straight forward then I'd have tried it. 

I thought about the dob as it would be easier to store the telescope and also quicker to point it to the sky. I just don't have the room to store the 200P on the EQ5 mount and it also takes time to set up when I do want to use it. 

I will now think of outside storage solutions and invest the money into a synscan for the EQ5 mount. 

On 29/03/2020 at 20:35, skyking_comms said:

Thanks for all the replies - you have convinced me not to convert the scope for the dob. If it had have been straight forward then I'd have tried it. 

I thought about the dob as it would be easier to store the telescope and also quicker to point it to the sky. I just don't have the room to store the 200P on the EQ5 mount and it also takes time to set up when I do want to use it. 

I will now think of outside storage solutions and invest the money into a synscan for the EQ5 mount. 

I also have a ED80 on a EQ5Pro mount, and running the WiFi adapter and SynScan APP

Pic taken at a recent club solar viewing day, in a park, foreshore Goldcoast

Members of the public walking pass, where also invited to view the sun

Unfortunately was no sunspots

Scope in background with camera attached, is also a ED80 on a HEQ5 mount

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

SynScan WiFi adapter.png

Screen print SynScan App.jpg