Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What type of street light is this?

7 minutes ago, RoveyDoveyGrovey said:

A picture showing what im working with, the light is about 2-3m away, and that's the only spot I can set up my telescope, i've already made a tube to slot over the end of the scope to create some shadow, im hoping a good light pollution filter will help some more.

Hmm. I'm not sure a filter will help you since the light looks very white which would make filters useless (the whole spectrum is polluted).

Because of the location of the lamp, would it be possible to connect a large sheet (like a water-proof blanket used for covering lawn furniture) to the house and fence to shade the scope?

The lamp is right next to the fence, any sheet would have to be as tall as the lamp, the shield i made blocks out a lot of light but there are lamps across the street as well, which also make it worse, i can't block them all out and still still see anything.

I think they replaced all the street lights round here recently.

This is the shield I made.

ss.jpg

There are many threads on SGL involving battles between members and their Local Authority. Given the location of the lamp you could reasonably make the case for light trespass. I know councils have better things to think about right now but, going forward it might be worth asking for it to be shrouded to lessen if not minimize the intrusion.  

• Like 1

Just now, Paul M said:

There are many threads on SGL involving battles between members and their Local Authority. Given the location of the lamp you could reasonably make the case for light trespass. I know councils have better things to think about right now but, going forward it might be worth asking for it to be shrouded to lessen if not minimize the intrusion.  

I did read somewhere you can get a shield put up, but im not sure they would be willing to put one up big enough to help with my telescope.

• Like 1

Just now, baldeliftman said:

Tell them its keeping you awake at night as it shines into your bedroom.

It does actually shine into my bedroom, but to cover this area as well it would need to be quite large, you could quite easily make a shield that covered my bedroom and didn't cover this area, which im guessing would be the option they would offer.