Narrowband

M51 after 5 years DSLR

drumsolo

Hi fellow star gazers. I have come back to this magnificent hobby after several years away. Can't believe I have stayed away so long as I am hooked again.

Anyway this is my first proper attempt at M51 with my Canon 1100D unmodified. I took around 20 x 4 min exposures, 20 flats, darks and 30 x bias. Stacked in DSS and processed in photoshop. That's where I have struggled, this seems to be about my limit with what I can do but I am wondering if it can be processed better or do I need more data? Struggling with noise so any tips on reducing would be greatly appreciated. I used levels and curves carefully, sharpened slightly, played with saturation and colour balance. That's the limit of my knowledge.

I haven't removed gradient as I don't know how to, help again appreciated.

Scope is skywatcher 200P, HEQ5 Pro, guided with PHD, LDAP light filter and  sky watcher coma corrector

Thanks in advance

Stuart

IMG-20200328-WA0003.jpg

Edited by drumsolo
  • Like 7