Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The need for patience

IMG_20200328_131948.thumb.jpg.c6d98b357e51e9c0de4a8346d9216db3.jpg

Astro Pixel Processor beavering away at over 3 hours of data from the region around Messier 86. Hopefully I can get a bit more of Markarian's Chain on Sunday evening. Fingers crossed. What is a bit annoying is that APP stalled overnight over one sub that was wrecked due to Windows somehow going to sleep, even though the power settings are such that it should NEVER do that. This morning Windows also suddenly went into hibernation or sleep mode while processing. Does anyone know how to stop this. Furthermore, can APP be told to simply discard a file and proceed? 

At the moment it is a bit like watching paint dry, whereas if it had worked overnight I would probably have my first results already. Oh, well, at least it is just one sub that needed to be discarded, not 50 % like the night before. 

Hi Michael - check the following for sleep and hibernation (belt and braces approach):

Start -> type Control Panel so the old fashioned control panel appears and click on that.

Click Hardware and Sound. Click Power Options.  Click Change Plan Settings.  Confirm Put the computer to sleep is set to Never when Plugged In (assuming it's always plugged in doing it's thing?).  Click Save changes if it was changed.

Then go back into Change plan settings.  Click Change advanced power settings.  Expand out  Sleep and then:

• Allow hybrid sleep.  Set this to off for plugged in
  • Hibernate after.  Set this to off for plugged in

Click Apply and OK.

A quicker way of turning hibernation off completely (I usually do this) is click Start, type cmd.  Run this as Administrator (right click to do this or in later Windows 10 it shows as an option to the right)

At the command prompt type:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Then close the window.  You'll find the two settings mentioned above in advanced are now missing.

Not sure about APP and skipping files depends where it fails.  Could set it only use 98/99% of subs under integration.  If it's not failing earlier it would likely discard the bad ones?  Just a guess though.

Edited by geeklee

2 hours ago, geeklee said:

Hi Michael - check the following for sleep and hibernation (belt and braces approach):

Start -> type Control Panel so the old fashioned control panel appears and click on that.

Click Hardware and Sound. Click Power Options.  Click Change Plan Settings.  Confirm Put the computer to sleep is set to Never when Plugged In (assuming it's always plugged in doing it's thing?).  Click Save changes if it was changed.

Then go back into Change plan settings.  Click Change advanced power settings.  Expand out  Sleep and then:

• Allow hybrid sleep.  Set this to off for plugged in
  • Hibernate after.  Set this to off for plugged in

Click Apply and OK.

A quicker way of turning hibernation off completely (I usually do this) is click Start, type cmd.  Run this as Administrator (right click to do this or in later Windows 10 it shows as an option to the right)

At the command prompt type:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Then close the window.  You'll find the two settings mentioned above in advanced are now missing.

Not sure about APP and skipping files depends where it fails.  Could set it only use 98/99% of subs under integration.  If it's not failing earlier it would likely discard the bad ones?  Just a guess though.

I already have the power settings set to "never". It almost seems as if even on mains power, Windows is still looking at the battery settings. 

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I already have the power settings set to "never". It almost seems as if even on mains power, Windows is still looking at the battery settings. 

🙁 I've not seen that issue.  I've come across the above, with sleep being never but hibernation still left at X hours.  You could try the powercfg command to force hibernation off?