SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is there a way to polar align without using Polaris?

Basically Polaris is blocked by my house so I cannot use it to align and I was wondering whether or not there is a way to align without seeing Polaris. I’d like to do some imaging so it would have to be aligned well enough that there won’t be noticeable trails. Thanks!

Yes. Setup mechanically aligned as best as possible to North Celestial Pole

Then swing round to near South and the celestial equator and then Drift Align with a high power eyepiece, which ideally has a reticle. 

Or if you're guiding with PHD2 then use their Drift Align method. 

Michael 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Yes. Setup mechanically aligned as best as possible to North Celestial Pole

Then swing round to near South and the celestial equator and then Drift Align with a high power eyepiece, which ideally has a reticle. 

Or if you're guiding with PHD2 then use their Drift Align method. 

Michael 

Ok thanks for letting me know. What is drift alignment exactly? I’ve read a bit about it but I don’t fully understand it.

Then read some more !    :->

If PA is not close, a centred star will drift off centre over a period of time, the faster the drift the worse the PA.

Pointing south, the direction a star drifts in Dec over time determines whether you adjust azimuth towards the east or to the west.

Pointing to the west or to the east, the direction of drift in Dec determines whether you adjust the mount altitude up or down.

The PHD2 Drift Alignment can be difficult to learn, using a reticle eyepiece is easier but takes longer.

Michael

Drift aligning requires a guide scope and camera connected to PHD. I'm guessing if your asking your at the beginner stage so drift aligning might be a bit advanced. What mount do you have? If a Skywatcher or Celestron then the handsets should have a polar align feature that doesnt require you to even see Polaris.

If you have a skywatcher mount with synscan hand controller, you can do an "all star" polar alignment. As rom v 4 (I believe), it's included in the HC firmware. It's much easier than drift align if you're new to this game, and good enough for a mobile setup.

10 hours ago, wimvb said:

If you have a skywatcher mount with synscan hand controller, you can do an "all star" polar alignment. As rom v 4 (I believe), it's included in the HC firmware. It's much easier than drift align if you're new to this game, and good enough for a mobile setup.

If you have a Celestron mount, an All Star Polar Alignment is similarly easy. You don't need advanced techniques like drift alignment. 

On 28/03/2020 at 19:13, david_taurus83 said:

Drift aligning requires a guide scope and camera connected to PHD. I'm guessing if your asking your at the beginner stage so drift aligning might be a bit advanced. What mount do you have? If a Skywatcher or Celestron then the handsets should have a polar align feature that doesnt require you to even see Polaris.

I have an EQ5 Mount with an RA motor drive so it doesn’t automatically allign

2 hours ago, IamLost said:

I have an EQ5 Mount with an RA motor drive so it doesn’t automatically allign

In that case none of those inbuilt PA Alignments apply, or PHD2 Drift Alignment, or Planetary Align. 

So it's classic Drift Align with an eyepiece, or you could try the DARV method with your imaging camera. 

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/darv-drift-alignment-by-robert-vice-r2760

Michael 

• 1 month later...
On 28/03/2020 at 00:06, IamLost said:

Basically Polaris is blocked by my house so I cannot use it to align and I was wondering whether or not there is a way to align without seeing Polaris. I’d like to do some imaging so it would have to be aligned well enough that there won’t be noticeable trails. Thanks!

I would mark a spot where I put my telescope (3 tripod leg marks) to use everytime.

Once you have done one fairly accurate drift align I would then mark an artificial north celestial pole on your house based on what is showing through your mount's polar scope!

Sounds crazy but will be very worthwhile in the long run.

Edited by miguel87

On 29/03/2020 at 10:38, Grotemobile said:

What I do is a planetary align . U have got Venus in the sky @ the moment .

That is what I have used. U can use the moon as well.    

That's star alignment,  a rough one too..using a point of light(star) is more accurate than something large like a planet/ moon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...