Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Schmidt Newtonian differences?

I’m looking into buying a Meade Schmidt Newtonian 8”, but do not know the differences between the models LXD55 and the LXD75, can anyone enlighten me on the differences please.

I would be using it for AP work.

chaz

Yep the lxd75 is kinda heavy duty eq5mount in fact it still has the 2inch thick tripod legs where the lxd55 is kinda like a eq4.5 type mount but uses the thin aluminium legs that eq3 has

but also those Schmidt newts  are f4 but with the corrector on it behaves like a f5 reflector but it’s bit smaller for portability 

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

49 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

Thanks John, can I also take it that the 75 is newer than the 55?

chaz

Not a lot in it to be honest with you. There was a time when Meade ran both systems side by side. I think the LXD55 was introduced earlier than the 75 though.

Ya 55came out bit ealier than 75

it could have been the first year the 55 got not great reviews and they beefed up the mounts and produced the 75 which is not rock soild but better and good for visual 

if u can just get the 75 version

joejaguar 

I have the lxd75 and did a review vs the lxd 70 on video but i haven’t nt put it out yet. I might in next few weeks tho

but i did take out the goto motor and Drives and hand control and just made it manual mount with with motors on both axis 

go to it’s just becoming sometimes more trouble than it’s worth

joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar