Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is Celestron 25x100 really worth it?

tico

40 minutes ago, tico said:
Hi,
It is the most economical of all 100mm, is the 25X100 binocular for deep sky observation really worth it?
Regards,
Tico.

What is your budget? what are you hoping to see?

I own a pair of revelation astro 25x100 and love them but i'm mainly an imager so don't get used much, if i was going visual on a budget i'd aim for the largest dob i could afford/handle/store. 

• Like 1

I certainly think they serve a purpose and are capable of showing you great things... But the problem with cheaper 100mm bins is the way the image loses its sharpness quite quickly from the centre. Of course they are also heavy so they need tripod mounting and they require straight through viewing.  If your using them for astro only you'll really you've got your neck to consider or you could get a parallelogram mount... But some good astro viewing can be done.  

Although they are cheap for a pair of 100mm binoculars , I'd be thinking about what telescope I could buy for the same money...

Mark

• Like 1

I had the Celestron 25x100s, they were ok, quite good optically but no good with eyeglasses, no field of view. Without eyeglasses, the dioptre adjustment was only +/-4 or 4.5, so couldn't reach focus for one of my eyes. I'd buy an 8" dobsonian instead for similar money, much more versatile than a fixed mag binocular, unless you already have a scope. If you really want binoculars for deep sky, I'd look at second hand Helios Apollos as they accept nebula filters which are excellent, especially under dark skies. I have the 15x70s and Quantum 5.1s 20/40x100mm which I made filter holders for.

PS don't forget a good tripod like an AZ4 is needed for the bigger binoculars. That's another c.£120 or more new.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1