Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M64 - The BlackEye Galaxy

Laurin Dave

Another one from the exceptional clear skies we are having..  The Black Eye Galaxy Messier 64 is a relatively isolated spiral galaxy located 17 million light years away in Coma Berenices and has a diameter of about 54,000 light-years. It was discovered by Edward Pigott in March 1779, and independently by Johann Elert Bode in April of the same year, as well as by Charles Messier in 1780. A dark band of absorbing dust in front of the galaxy's bright nucleus gave rise to its nicknames of the "Black Eye" or "Evil Eye" galaxy.  8 hours Lum on Esprit150/SX46 and 2.7hrs each RGB on Esprit100/ASI1600 mostly captured whilst I was fast asleep.  Processed in Pixinsight (Drizzle Integrated) and Photoshop.

Thanks for looking

Dave

M64_L_RGB_Final_Crop.thumb.jpg.9321ab75284723bca6b934a3de27fb54.jpg

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Nice one Dave I really ought to get on with some galaxies instead of tying up the scope imaging comets 😂

Dave

Thanks Dave..  I really must have a go at a Comet...  just no idea how to.

Dave

• Like 1