Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Defective columns in ccd sensor

glafnazur

Hi everyone,

I've seen an Atik 460EX mono ccd camera for sale second hand however the advert states that 'The sensor does have 2 defective columns and if you use cosmetic correction in pixinsight, they are column 418 : rows 30-2199 and column 2463 : rows 180-2199.' I am a newbie just starting out in astrophotography and from what I've read this is a good camera and the price is very good but I don't want to buy this if these defective columns would be a major issue. Any advice here would be most appreciated.

Dave

It's not usually a column that is defective but a single pixel that has been damaged by radiation in some way.  The way data is readout then means that this error is added onto every pixel in that column (hence the statement a defective column).  Most CCDs will pick up these errors over time.  The older the CCD the more likely you will have them.  They can usually be calibrated out just fine. In certain software you can tell it where the defect is so it can be manage better (such as in Pixinsight)

Edited by Whirlwind
Updated

54 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

Hi everyone,

I've seen an Atik 460EX mono ccd camera for sale second hand however the advert states that 'The sensor does have 2 defective columns and if you use cosmetic correction in pixinsight, they are column 418 : rows 30-2199 and column 2463 : rows 180-2199.' I am a newbie just starting out in astrophotography and from what I've read this is a good camera and the price is very good but I don't want to buy this if these defective columns would be a major issue. Any advice here would be most appreciated.

Dave

I would say that is fine but I would expect it to be cheaper than a camera with a perfect sensor. If not then they come up quite often so do to feel like you need to go for one with an issue. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

5 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I would say that is fine but I would expect it to be cheaper than a camera with a perfect sensor. If not then they come up quite often so do to feel like you need to go for one with an issue. 

Adam

It is being sold for £800, FLO have it at £1962

48 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

It is being sold for £800, FLO have it at £1962

That is an ok price, I sold one for £1000 recently but they have not been making very good second hand prices. £900 is typical at the moment, so that is maybe £100 less than the norm.

The other thing to consider is a ASI183mm pro at about the same price but new. It will mostly depend on your focal length and subject matter though.

Adam

I bought mine second-hand several months ago now, paid quote abit more than that but it's clean see a whistle...

A friend bought one just before me  but for substantially less than what youre  looking at and it's not given him any issues..they're fantastic camera's ..

I'd have another if I could afford it

Maybe drop atik an email and ask what can be done , although I'd doubt that they're working in the current situation

Update, I've just recieved a email from Atik to say that atik uk are working from home..

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

18 hours ago, newbie alert said:

I bought mine second-hand several months ago now, paid quote abit more than that but it's clean see a whistle...

A friend bought one just before me  but for substantially less than what youre  looking at and it's not given him any issues..they're fantastic camera's ..

I'd have another if I could afford it

Maybe drop atik an email and ask what can be done , although I'd doubt that they're working in the current situation

Update, I've just recieved a email from Atik to say that atik uk are working from home..

Thanks that's a good idea, I've sent them an email.