The obligatory M42 first image

sploo

My first proper stab at a DSO - obviously M42.

So many things wrong with this - I was using the Star Adventurer mount with my old 7D DSLR with a CLS filter (not a great sensor at high ISO settings), my polar alignment wasn't great (15s lights max), plenty of the frames were soft due to some atmospheric issues, I made a mistake with the settings for the darks, there are no flats, and in total there's only about 25 minutes' worth of light frames. But... I'm pretty happy with it as a first go.

If and when I ever get round to making a tracking mount for the Skywatcher 300P (and get the 2" CLS filter I ordered) I'll be able to use the 5D4 (much better sensor), and the 300P will suck in light at about 16x the rate of the lens I used on the 7D; which is a positive thing to look forward to.

flattened.thumb.jpg.2ef20557f45e549ebe68597227b2f190.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks. Definitely too few (good) light frames, plus some mistakes with the darks, so the noise could certainly be reduced. Each frame could have been better too with a longer exposure time, but I'd done a lazy job of polar alignment. Ironically I got that nailed OK last night to shoot M81... and failed to even find it in the sky :embarrassed: