Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

vernmid

COMPLETED - FOUND. PLEASE CLOSE Swap : My 200pds for your 200 dob

Posted (edited)

I have a 200pds and was wondering if anyone has a 200 dob or similar they would like to swap.

I'm after something for a village outreach event.

Must be close enough to Winchester Hampshire for swapping after the wierdness ends!

Thanks

Vern

Edited by vernmid
Sold

If you are handy with diy and have a shed of usual bits could you make a dob base for your 200pds?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If you are handy with diy and have a shed of usual bits could you make a dob base for your 200pds?

Thanks happy-kat. Definitely something I am considering if a swap doesn't show. Do you know of any dob base plans?

I think @Moonshane or perhaps @Stu might be able to point you to dob base plans suitable for your 200pds

• Like 1

If you do decide to make a Dob base for your 200PDS you can then have the best of both worlds, (ie keeping your PDS for equatorial mounting).

I had  the same desire last year, owning a 200PDS but wanting the quick convenience of a Dob.

The attached photo shows my "universal" 200...  🤓

I was fortunate enough to find someone selling a DOB base secondhand (with all but the circular bottom plates), but complete with the pivots that attach to the OTA.

(DOB bases do turn up from time to time, especially for the very popular Skywatcher 200 series, where people "upgrade" to EQ mounts).

Even if that hadn't turned up though, I'm fairly confident I could have fabricated most of it from MDF and attached the OTA with something via the original rings.

So I now have a "quick and convenient" Dob, which can be lifted off and used on my EQ6 for Astro Photography.....

PDS DOB.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yes, their Dobs are very neat with the ring quadrants, and that method enables perfect balancing without weights too, just by sliding the OTA up or down in the rings.

If I hadn't been able to get the secondhand DOB parts I would have copied that design, making the quadrants out of MDF........

Edited by Astro-Geek
typos...

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, vernmid said:

I have a 200pds and was wondering if anyone has a 200 dob or similar they would like to swap.

I'm after something for a village outreach event.

Must be close enough to Winchester Hampshire for swapping after the wierdness ends!

Thanks

Vern

Hi

Is this a one-off event or a regular event?

I Have a 10" your welcome to either borrow if a one-off, or swap should you wish

Edited by Frank the Troll
  • Like 1

Hopefully a recurring event so would like to source my own.

Many thanks for the offer though 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, vernmid said:

Hopefully a recurring event so would like to source my own.

Many thanks for the offer though 🙂

Can do a swap too,  bit much for me to lug around now

Orion 10.jpg

Edited by Frank the Troll
  • Like 1

Found one 😃

Thanks star struck.

Also thanks for all the offers and suggestions.

Cheers

Vern