SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focuser wobble

Hi

I think I've identified why when I collimate my reflector it all looks ok, but the images don't....

Given that it's an old reflector, with only a 1.25" focuser and I'm mostly doing astrophotography, I really don't want to spend much money on trying to fix this scope, but before I give up on it, any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to improve the situation?

When moving the focuser with the pinion it all feels tight, so I'm guessing it's just the tube not filling the hole?

Edited by Endolf

Hi mate if you remove the focuser shaft that's the part with the knobs on then pull out the tube , your most likely find the felt strips are worn out , stick some new felt on to the tube this should remove some of the play 

Or try nylon or teflon strips if you can find some thin enough to fit.  You could also try shimming with strips of plastic milk jugs.  Remove the focuser from the main telescope tube first before you start playing around with it, though.