Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Xilman

COMPLETED - 15-30cm Dobsonian

My observatory is in La Palma which is in lock down for the foreseeable future. It would be nice to be able to do some observing from the admittedly cruddy skies just south of Cambridge where I can't sensibly house a permanently mounted telescope. As a VS observer I'm interested much more in light grasp than exquisite definition and sub-arcsec guiding.

Consequently, I'm looking for a Dobsonian in the 15-30cm aperture range and preferably towards the larger end of the range.  That's six to twelve inches for those who think in those units.

I have a Skywatcher Flextube 300p Synscan which is very underused, mainly due to it being stored in the basement. It is quite an effort to move it and I spend all of my time taking pics through my MN190.

Unsurprisingly I also have a selection of eyepieces that never see the light of night either. 

I have a Skywatcher 250 Dob I was considering letting go. 

Location is Wiltshire, close to Swindon

A chap advertised a SkyWatcher 250P on eBay. He very kindly sent it by ParcelForce because gummint restrictions forbade me  to drive 140 miles to collect it as the advert specified. It arrived this afternoon.

As a cloud-maker it works extremely well, in that persistent rain hasn't stopped for roughly 18 hours now.

I am now waiting for a clear night sky to see how well it works in its astronomical capacity. All that can be reported so far is that collimation was straightforward and that the lichen on a tree circa 150m away is in very fine condition. No insects (or any other arthropods for that matter) were apparent at the time of observation. Definition would quite possibly have been better had the observations not been carried out through double-glazed windows. See comment above about it persistenting it down for why the windows were in the way.

• Like 2