SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leo Triplet

Marvin Jenkins

I am quite new to all this ap stuff. This is my fourth image, so I have decided to post here instead of beginners, which I am most definitely, when I look at some of the remarkable work here. I am going to say right now that the processing was done by a friend in PI as I have just downloaded GIMP and need to do the tutorials.

A little over two hours of data, darks, bias and flats, stacked in DSS. I have done some ep work on the two Messier objects last year without knowing it was such a note worthy group of three. I am super happy with the result and even happier to have the help of Astro friends. You know who you are.

A thing of note. I have been having problems with framing the target and noticed a difference between the final image and the image on the view screen on the back of the camera. The final image seems more to the right and lower than the DSLR screen. Anyone else had that.

Marvin

23B2CF2C-BC0E-4950-9ADA-2DB16456D782.jpeg

• Like 13

The detail in the galaxies looks fantastic.  If you could control the background a little more, then this would be better.  There is not much colour, did you use a very high ISO?  I have done this target with about 26 hours of data on a DSLR.  You've done well with just 2 hours!

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

The detail in the galaxies looks fantastic.  If you could control the background a little more, then this would be better.  There is not much colour, did you use a very high ISO?  I have done this target with about 26 hours of data on a DSLR.  You've done well with just 2 hours!

2hrs 21 mins total at ISO 800. My DSLR is the entry level model and seems to be very red clipped. I tried a test shot at ISO 1600 but it made the night sky very orange.

I have a town 20 k away in the SE direction and I suspect a lot of the subs were picking up light pollution, especially in the first hour as the triplet is quite low to my horizon at the beginning.

Marvin

• Like 1