SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M97 and M108

davhei

Just back in from a nice dark sky session where I had my first look at these two messiers in UMa. Lovely pair that I thought were very prominent. Was observing close to zenith which made finding them a bit awkward but I’m glad I persisted.

4EA7C48E-6CFC-4CE5-9D6D-5336F39507BF.jpeg

• Like 17

That is a fantastic sketch!!....in more ways than one. Tonight I posted a report in the Observing Report section about last night and my observations of M97. I wasn’t sure I was actually seeing it but your sketch and the prominent 2 stars to the left confirm it!!...Thanks 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

That is a fantastic sketch!!....in more ways than one. Tonight I posted a report in the Observing Report section about last night and my observations of M97. I wasn’t sure I was actually seeing it but your sketch and the prominent 2 stars to the left confirm it!!...Thanks 

That’s really cool, glad I could help! Read your report and enjoyed it, actually had M53 on my list too but never got around to it. Got absorbed by the more spectacular M3 and M5 instead. Next time.

• Like 1

Excellent sketch !

An O-III filter makes M97 pop into view quite a bit easier but thats at the expense of M108 which all but disappears so if you want to see both in the view, unfiltered is better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

Excellent sketch !

An O-III filter makes M97 pop into view quite a bit easier but thats at the expense of M108 which all but disappears so if you want to see both in the view, unfiltered is better.

Thanks! Didn’t think of using the OIII-filter actually, have to do that next time. Would be interested to see if it is possible to see the owl eyes.

Edited by davhei
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, davhei said:

Thanks! Didn’t think of using the OIII-filter actually, have to do that next time. Would be interested to see if it is possible to see the owl eyes.

I've not managed to resolve the 'owl eyes' with my 12" under town light pollution, but recently saw M97 with a large dob from a very dark site, it absolutely jumped out, looked like it ran on batteries, it was quite bright and the eyes were easily visible.

If I try my hand at sketching, I'll have to try for this one! Great sketch!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, davhei said:

If your skies are dark and transparent, you may well get suggestions of where they are. Certainly the face of the nebulous disk will show some contrast variations. M97 is a particularly good O-III target I feel.