Narrowband

Bode's and Cigar

alexbb

This is another multi season project.

I started it back in 2018 with the acquisition of high resolution data through the disassembled 8" dob tube put on the EQ6-R.
Despite the rather long integration of 8-9h on each of the 2 panels, the gradients due to light pollution prevented me to stretch the image to reveal the IFN. Some traces of it were there, but some other streaks were not supposed to be visible.

Later that season I decided to shoot some RGB and Ha too and for these I used the 150PDS which covered the whole area in a single frame.

I didn't really bother to process that data as the background was so poor.

But this season I restarted when I "accidentally" had an old AstroProfessional ED FPL51 equipped refractor with me. I proceeded to shoot some luminance through it after finishing shooting with another scope for the main target for that night. It appears that less than 3h of exposures through the 4" refractor under dark skies revealed a lot more information than ~17h (you can divide by 2 actually as there were 2 panels) of exposure through an 8" reflector. So the past recent days I left the city for a while because of the virus spreading and during 2 nights I went out by myself and shot another 5:30h of luminance. The conditions were not so good, but I still guesstimated the sky at a ~21 SQM.

Combining the data proved really difficult as the stars through the refractor were so bloated and neither the RGB through the other scope didn't help too much either, but in the end I believe I have something decent.

I will perhaps revisit once I get a more decent and larger imaging scope, be it mirrored or mirroless.

You can watch the image also on astrobin and flickr.

Thanks for watching!

Clear skies and stay safe!

LRGB_p14_watermark.jpg

• Like 21