sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Identifying Moving Object In NGC2903 Images

Hey there

I was out with my scope for the first time this years and was imaging the galaxy NGC2903 in LRGB. When I was stacking the RGB images, I noticed that one of the stars didn't properly align, and can now see that it is a very slowly moving object.
I am not sure how I can identify what object it is?
I can't find anything in Stellarium that shows up in that period, so anyone of you that can help? Loosely comparing it to other stars, it appears to be like +14 magnitude ⭐

It was imaged from around CET 01:43 to 02:28 in this GIF:

NGC-2903-Moving-Object-.thumb.gif.fd3074bde80eecd5960c91f0a2299416.gif169480448_NGC2903MovingObject.thumb.png.04588ddca89ef6a091df866620eb418b.png

It probably also appeared in the light frames that I took previously to this, but I haven't been able to check that yet - Any inputs would be very welcome and interesting! 😁

(If there is a better forum for this kinda post, please let me know too).

Imaged with:
Celestron AVX Mount
Skywatcher 150PDS
ZWO ASI183MM-Pro
Baader RGB Filters

6 hours ago, lukebl said:

I used Skysafari Pro.

Cool, thanks for that - I'll give it a look.

6 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Nice capture, wondering if you can make a time-lapse from your subs. 

Cheers. A pure coincidence I recognized it - will definitely keep an eye out for more! 
Probably could, I'll consider that.

In the span of the hours imaging, it moved like 3-4 arc-minutes. 

7 hours ago, The-MathMog said:

Very nice, and that was a fast respond guys! That was quite a close magnitude estimate haha!
May i ask what tool you use to identify object like this? 

I used Cartes du Ciel.

I'd also recommend ASTAP which will identify asteroids as part of its platesolving.

16 hours ago, don4l said:

I used Cartes du Ciel.

I'd also recommend ASTAP which will identify asteroids as part of its platesolving.

16 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

+1 for Cartes du Ciel.

Alright. Might need to add that to my software list then. I do like the aesthetics of Stellarium and since I comfortably use it to control my telescope too, I don't think I'll ditch that :D

I did image again tonight, and the asteroid is still well within frame. With the speed it is moving through the frame, I suspect that it will be in frame for a couple more days too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ekul
      Hi I'm not sure what the object in the top right of this photo is. There is also something in the bottom left I am very new to astro photography so not sure if its something very obvious. It is also digitally zoomed quite a bit so the quality of the image is a bit low.

• By DimaSky
      I was in Sheffield at ‎19:35:43 on the 06 ‎May ‎2020 when using a bridge camera i spotted a quickly moving object at quite a distance away (50x zoom). It was followed by a grey smoke trail and was leaving the atmosphere at a slight angle. It was spotted looking NNW. The object's trail has no sort of flames. Could it have been a man-made object? Does anybody know what it was or have any information on it?

• By gorann
      I took Olly @ollypenrice seriously when he claimed that 6" refractors are great galaxy hunters, so I let my EdgheHD scopes rest in the cupboard and put the Esprit 150 at work. These images summarizes the few clear night I had in February and March. RGB was collected with ASI071 (OSC) in most cases supplemented with additional lum from ASI 1600 MM (sometimes sitting on the Esprit 100).
      Top left: NGC2903
      Top middle: NGC4712, 4725, 4747
      Top right: NGC3718 and 3729
      Bottom: M96 and M96
      Yes, I have already posted the images separately, so excuse the spamming but I thought it was nice to see them together. It also gives an idea of their relative sizes as all imgaes are on the same scale.
      Comments welcome, including if I should put the 11" EdgeHD on the mount instead.....

• By gorann
      I recently had my first light with my new Mesu mount and aimed the Esprit 150 at NGC2903. Combined with the he ASI 071MC with its APS-C sized chip this gave me a rather large FOV and therefore a rather small galaxy.

I kind of like the small galaxy in a large space, but still I started playing with ways to crop the image, realizing that there are indeed many different ways to do this.
      I first made a rather standard crop keeping approximately the same image dimensions and  the galaxy in the centre:

Then it struck me that it could look nice in a more panoramic view:

And finally, I started to think about the possibility to use the famous Golden Ratio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio) used by artists since Leonardo da Vinci. I first tried it in its simplest form by just placing the galaxy in the one-dimensional golden ratio position along the length of the image:

But this could also be done in two dimensions using the Fibonacci spiral, and to get it there I felt it benifited from a 180° rotation of the image:

Any more suggestions? What looks best, if any? Feel free to play with different ways to crop my image.
    • By alan4908
      A crop of the NGC2903 image showing the details of the galaxy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.