SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Needle Galaxy - Final Luminance Image

Mr_42tr0nomy

Hi guys!

So as of last night I have my final lum data collected and processed. This is a total of 19hrs using 10min subs I am currently gathering rgb data as I type this! Hopefully I can grab about two hours of each tonight... and then flats tomorrow morning!

I hope you all enjoy!

Cem60, asi1600mm, 10" F/3.9 Newtonian, Astrodon Lum Filter

600s exposures, gain 0 offset 10

Needle Galaxy quattro lum stack.jpg

• Like 22

Totally fantastic!  

I'm still struggling with my own exposure times but you mention 600s subs in luminance?  At F3.9 isnt this a long time, but then maybe the gain = 0 is the answer?  I use a CCD so dont know how that impacts it.

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Totally fantastic!  

I'm still struggling with my own exposure times but you mention 600s subs in luminance?  At F3.9 isnt this a long time, but then maybe the gain = 0 is the answer?  I use a CCD so dont know how that impacts it.

I ultimately look to get the most dynamic range out of my photos so gain zero is the way to do this. I live and image from low end bortle 4 so my 600s subs aren’t washed out at all. I could go 1200s subs I bet. I just don’t have a 1200s dark library!

2 hours ago, Mr_42tr0nomy said:

I ultimately look to get the most dynamic range out of my photos so gain zero is the way to do this. I live and image from low end bortle 4 so my 600s subs aren’t washed out at all. I could go 1200s subs I bet. I just don’t have a 1200s dark library!

Thanks for that info. I live in a decent Bortle 4 area myself and at F2.8 with my Epsilon and Atik 8300, I’m still trying to gauge the right exposure time.  Certainly I’d be completely overexposed at 600s. That’s a cracker of an image, so it working well for you.