SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P EP's...

Usually they are modified achromats which are similar to kellners. 3 elements in 2 groups. Occasionally the scopes are shipped with plossls but they are marked as such.

28 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

They're only marked as super, but not Plossls or MA. 

Those are 3 element eyepieces. They get you started and the 25mm is better than the 10mm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, merlin100 said:

Thanks for the info, folks. I think they'll be getting upgraded in the near future.

Talking of upgrading, any recommendations? I've already got a Meade 4000 15mm Super Plossl in 1.25 inch.  I would certainly like a small selection of new Plossl EP's for it in 1.25 inch. For wider field of view generally, would any 2 inch EP be of any use?  Sorry if I'm already asking what I've asked before...

1 hour ago, merlin100 said:

Talking of upgrading, any recommendations? I've already got a Meade 4000 15mm Super Plossl in 1.25 inch.  I would certainly like a small selection of new Plossl EP's for it in 1.25 inch. For wider field of view generally, would any 2 inch EP be of any use?  Sorry if I'm already asking what I've asked before...

I love wide field, 2" eyepieces for scanning star fields and for initial centering of objects.  They're also useful for observing large objects like the Pleiades, Hyades, Collinder 70, etc.  For your scope and budget, I'd recommend the 35mm Aero ED.

4 hours ago, merlin100 said:

The meade 4k sp ep is fine u dont need to upgrade this one unless u want a bigger fov from the 52 fov

Yes I would get at least 1 2 inch ep for lower powers wide field views

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

The BST Starguiders make a good upgrade over the stock eyepieces. They have a good reputation on this forum :icon_biggrin:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

Personally I think a 2 inch eyepiece with a focal length of 30 mm or so is worth having as well but they do tend to cost a bit more to get decent performance.

• Like 2

I have probably gone a bit over board and purchased all of the BST range except the 3.2 (which I still may add to the collection 😁)

They are excellent eye pieces for the money, Perform well and are comfortable to use.  I will be sticking with these for now as I feel they complement the 200p well. Other than these I only have a skywatcher 4mm planetary eye piece which gives magnification of X300,  the 200p still gives a great view at this level of magnification.

I feel that Johns advice of having a 2" wide field 30-32mm piece in the arsenal will be my next purchase.

Baz

• Like 2

I'm getting information overload looking at all the different types of EP, at the moment.  I know that MA's are the bottom spec that you'd want to go for, then up to Plossls, (avoiding SR and H like the plague), but some of the manufacturer designations have confused the hell out of me! I get UWA=ultra wide angle, SP=super Plossls, etc, but some take the biscuit for a beginner like me.  I've read the EP Guide sticky on the forum, but I'm still confused as hell... 

I think unless you're an optical expert, many of the less well known manufacturer designations mean nothing.  I wish there was a key to what designation falls into what type and category (apart from those obvious examples I mention above).

Edited by Guest
typo

19 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

I'm getting information overload looking at all the different types of EP, at the moment.  I know that MA's are the bottom spec that you'd want to go for, then up to Plossls, (avoiding SR and H like the plague), but some of the manufacturer designations have confused the hell out of me! I get UWA=ultra wide angle, SP=super Plossls, etc, but some take the biscuit for a beginner like me.  I've read the EP Guide sticky on the forum, but I'm still confused as hell... 

I think unless you're an optical expert, many of the less well known manufacturer designations mean nothing.  I wish their was a key to what designation falls into what type and category (apart from those obvious examples I mention above).

Choosing eyepieces can be more confusing that choosing a telescope :rolleyes2:

There are a wide range of optical designs and then you have the manufacturers names for their ranges which don't tell you what optical design they use.

A term such as SWA or UWA refers to the characteristics of an eyepiece (ie: super wide angle and ultra wide angle) but there are no official designations of what those terms mean and a number of optical designs can deliver such views but with varying quality depending on the scope they are used with.

No wonder you get confused !

One safe way to go is to find out what others who have the scope you have use and what they think of them. The BST Starguiders have proved very popular on this forum and, having used them myself, they do work pretty well in a scope such as yours.

This piece by Robin Wilkey (a member here) is a pretty good overview if you have not read it already:

http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

21 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

I think unless you're an optical expert, many of the less well known manufacturer designations mean nothing.  I wish their was a key to what designation falls into what type and category (apart from those obvious examples I mention above).

There is one thing this hobby teaches us and that is patience. I am fairly new to this hobby myself and have just taken my time with all aspects because IMO you can not learn everything in a short space of time, in fact you NEVER stop learning.

My eyepiece set does not contain any very expensive ones but the ones I have bought over time are as good as I need for the limited time we get to use them. My advice is just take your time to learn and research before you go and spend your hard earned cash on something you might (and probably will) regret.

Would it be fair to say that most of the larger manufacturer's branded Plossls come out of the same Chinese factory? For example, Meade, Celestron, Sky-Watcher, etc? 

12 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

Would it be fair to say that most of the larger manufacturer's branded Plossls come out of the same Chinese factory? For example, Meade, Celestron, Sky-Watcher, etc? 

Not all those brands but certainly some probably do come from the same manufacturer. Most stuff comes from China or Taiwan these days.

The plossls branded "Revelation" are decent quality for a low cost. They are made by a manufacturer called GSO which is based in Taiwan.

• Like 1

The SW "Super 25" can be good, ours is surprisingly good. The 10mm MA got tossed into the circular file cabinet....

@John is right about a 2" 28mm-30mm eyepiece being a huge asset to you IMHO. BST's are well regarded upgrades and the Vixen SLV's another step up. 3 nicely good eyepieces and a barlow will serve you well. Its hard to go wrong with a Baader10 BCO and their "Q-Barlow".

• Like 1