SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Contrast Booster Filter

Jiggy 67

I’m considering one of these for my 200PDS reflector as I believe they are really good on planets, however they are not necessarily optimized for reflectors. I already have the Baader Moon and Skyglow filter so is the opinion that the Contrast Booster would be a worthwhile addition????

I have both and use the Moon and Skyglow filter a lot more. The Contrast Booster adds a yellow tint which always bothered me. I prefer a more natural look when observing. The Contrast Booster is reputed to be very good on Mars. In 2018 I tried it and it gave it a deeper Red look. Due to the dust storm on Mars it was hard to say if it made any difference to the subtler features. I’ll be trying it again this year though. 

I had both but sold on the contrast booster and kept the Neodymium fiter.. Just didn’t like the yellowish tint of the contrast booster. 

There are a couple of the contrast booster filters on Astrobuysell at the moment if you wanted to pick one up to try.

Edited by johninderby

Thanks guys, yeh I’ve read about the yellow tint. I think I can live with that if the filter brings out a bit more detail and enhances the object against a black background in my Bortle 6 skies. Have you noticed an improvement in fine detail??..Littleguy I know you had issues with a sandstorm but have you tried it on Jupiter

40 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I tried both on Jupiter and prefered the view with the Neodynium filter. Didn’t think the contrast booster showed any more detail.

Hmmmm....I think there is a clear message in this thread 😀...however, seeing as how I’m working through the current crisis from home I would only be spending money that would normally be spent on petrol so I might just go for it (perverse logic I know but it works for me!) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Thanks guys, yeh I’ve read about the yellow tint. I think I can live with that if the filter brings out a bit more detail and enhances the object against a black background in my Bortle 6 skies. Have you noticed an improvement in fine detail??..Littleguy I know you had issues with a sandstorm but have you tried it on Jupiter

Yeah, I had the Contrast Booster before the Moon and Skyglow filter so I used that first on Jupiter. My personal preference is again for the Moon and Skyglow though very often I go unfiltered these days for Jupiter. Filtering is good if you want to bring out specific features, such as the Great Red Spot. However, if you want to pick up fine detail then, in my experience at least, it’s about picking the right magnification for the seeing and just sticking with it for those moments of steady air. Filtering can’t sometimes remove some of the fine detail. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Hmmmm....I think there is a clear message in this thread 😀...however, seeing as how I’m working through the current crisis from home I would only be spending money that would normally be spent on petrol so I might just go for it (perverse logic I know but it works for me!) 

Go for it. Especially if you can pick a used one up. It’s really good to experiment. We all have different preferences so well worth trying and seeing how you feel about it. 

• Like 1

From hours in the field:

Mars: Contrast Booster stupendous--simply the best Mars filter out there.

Jupiter--Moon and Sky glow filter better, though CB helps a little.  Best is no filter and high power.

Saturn--Yellow #12 or #15 enhances shadow details in rings.  Otherwise, like Jupiter--high powers with no filter is best. M&SG not much help at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1