M42 processed in Pixinsight

Astro_mark_c

I signed up to the Pixinsight 45 day trial and I'm currently halfway through it (give or take).  I stacked and edited M42 inside Pixinsight for the first time following a couple of tutorials.  This was shot using my Fuji XT2 + 55-200mm lens (at 200mm), while tracked on my Star Adventurer Pro.  Made up of 55 images x 60s, with darks, bias and flats added into the mix, cropped to suit.  My Skywatcher Evsotar 72 ED arrived today so can't wait to get outside and give it a spin.

M42_Final.jpg

• Like 5

@Sidecontrol     It is a good image. Maybe it's just me (and what is right anyway?) but the colour balance in the main nebula doesn't look right. It's too orange.  The colour balance of the stars on the other hand looks more 'right'.  How did you do the colour? Did you separate the image using masks and treat the colour separately?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

Excellent result. You have a noisy red background because your camera is picking up the weak Ha signal. You'll need more data to lift it above the noise floor. 

Thanks for the comment and advice I'll definitely take that on board for next time.

7 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

@Sidecontrol     It is a good image. Maybe it's just me (and what is right anyway?) but the colour balance in the main nebula doesn't look right. It's too orange.  The colour balance of the stars on the other hand looks more 'right'.  How did you do the colour? Did you separate the image using masks and treat the colour separately?  

I defintely remember using a mask for adding more saturation to the stars, I would need to look back over the tutorial as it was the first time I followed it.  I haven't intentially changed the colour of the nebula, but I'll look over the tutorial and hopefully find the part that gave the result you see.