Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stupid Newbie Question #4 (maybe 5, I lose count): Plate Solving??

OK, I get plate solving (maybe).  Your camera takes an image through the scope or guide scope and sends it to an Internet resolver that returns a message identifying where you are pointed.   If I have that more or less correct, then these questions remain:

1.  What is the format of the return data? 

2.  If one wanted to view the return data, where does it "live?"  Assume KStars/INDI/Ekos

3.  This may seem a really basic question...but...What does it get me from an operational standpoint?  For example, does it update the pointing mechanism in some way or is it merely a verification?

4.  What would you answer to complete the following statement: "You should use plate solving if you intend......"   or :  "You should avoid plate solving unless....."

There is an equal probability that I have the whole concept wrong.  That is also OK, because I feel I am starting at the beginning with this particular concept and would rather be corrected now before I accumulate to much supposition on a flawed premise.  So...no answers too basic!

Plate solving is useful for astro' imaging to identify the right spot in the sky to image something that you can't see without taking a long exposure.

I can be done without internet access if star catalogues are downloaded to computer, blind solving can be done if you haven't a clue where you're pointing but will take longer.

Depending on the software used it will give you celestial co-ordinates of the centre of the image and the camera angle.

Useful to get your scope aimed precisely at a point in the sky if you have the software to control your mount it will solve, move the scope and solve again until the right spot is located.

Dave

• Thanks 1

For me, imaging wise it's the best thing since sliced bread. It removes the need for a finder scope and manually pointing your scope. It also removes the need to star align your mount. I use plate solving with APT. There are easy to follow resources on how to set this up both on YouTube and Google if you have a little look, it involves downloading a couple of databases to your laptop so there's no need for an internet connection.

After it's setup, it's as simple as telling APT where to point, taking an image, plate solving it, pressing the sync button, then having it slew again to your target which should then be practically centered. A few clicks of a button from the comfort of my fold out chair.

• Thanks 1

So far, so good.  These are the kinds of things I was hoping I would hear. 

Alas, I am the "Anti-Windoze" type (Unix/Linux), so APT is off the table, but I expect that I can get similar results with Ekos/INDI under Linux.  Someone please put their hand up if there is a better Linux alternative.  I probably could run APT under Wine, but complicated software seems to get wonky when you take it off of its home turf.

Edited by JonCarleton
  • Like 1