Narrowband

Show us your Cat

Catadioptric, that is.

I could not find a thread devoted to this topic, so I'll post mine.

I owned a C-5 for a few years. It was the smallest cat I've had, and although the views were OK, my refractors cooled faster, and provided more contrasty pictures, so I sold it.

I was new to this hobby when I met TEC founder Yuri Petrunin at RTMC, a now-defunct astronomy expo/star party in the early years of this century, where he displayed Maksutov-cassegrain scopes built by them. Eventually, I decided to get their MC150 model, which at the time was priced near $2K. 

They made an eight-inch model, also, which was twice as much, and more than I wanted to spend. Alas, I regret not getting one, to this day.

Before long, TEC decided to abandon Mak production and cash in on the refractor boom, to Mak lovers' loss.

I do love using the 150 on the Moon!

I opted for rings, rather than a fixed dovetail plate. TEC finder mount on top of tube.

1996387501_IMGP0064-Copy.thumb.JPG.75090f4446b6131bd2b4c6fcd5e6d9a1.JPG

Grab handle, micrometer focuser, 2" visual back.

13641247_IMGP0059-Copy.thumb.JPG.ace2282cd8ccbdaa520c3694257beecd.JPG

The business end. Number 38.

1707117620_IMGP0060-Copy.thumb.JPG.7e56b5c5fb4c8be5eb29965d0b3f50fe.JPG

Edited by Nakedgun
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, DavidJM said:

Noticed the williams optics prism on the Mak127, could you let me know which model it is and did you find it a noticeable upgrade?

It came with the Celestron, it had SC treads witch i replaced with a 2" nosepiece.

I like two inch diagonals, enables you to use any eyepiece, with the Mac 127 the bigger 2" eyepieces with fieldstop over 1,25" wil get some vignetting.

34 minutes ago, Miguel1983 said:

It came with the Celestron, it had SC treads witch i replaced with a 2" nosepiece.

I like two inch diagonals, enables you to use any eyepiece, with the Mac 127 the bigger 2" eyepieces with fieldstop over 1,25" wil get some vignetting.

Thanks for info, for the 127 I think I would stick to 1.25"

6 hours ago, Graham Darke said:

Here’s my Intes MK67 out under the night sky.

0E2DB3CF-5267-4E95-AF85-7ABF7101C886.jpeg

Orion USA imported this (or was it the MK66?) and called it the Argonaut 150. It came with a fixed primary, crayford focuser, carry-handle attached to the top with a fixed mounting plate underneath, and was painted black. They sold for $999, if I remember correctly and were optically very nice. I bought one in '99 and used it until I bought my TEC MC150 in May 2005. 

I never used them side-by-side but don't believe I gained twice the scope for twice the price.

• Like 3

Here's my LX90-10". I ended up removing it from the fork mount and mounting it to my Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G. Also updated the visual back to a Baader ClickLock, changed the focuser to a Feather Touch Micro, and went with an 80mm Stellarvue finderscope.

957375075_LX90semiloaded.thumb.jpg.bfe8b93c92a917ed1d0505c7c609b943.jpg

1618068941_LX90fullyloaded.thumb.jpg.c7b35a8266456c4f2e7e78dda23febe3.jpg

1361872825_lx90re-mount.thumb.jpg.843c25027742e7b19cf44b2a5eb12180.jpg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Philip R said:

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.0e83cba8a43fca7212f2ea43c0df5c0f.JPG

My C6/SCT (left) and ‘re-modded’ ETX105 (right).

I love that tripod, scopes too, the tripod caught my eye first, love the finish on the wood. That vixen GP holds a special place in my heart lol, such a reliable and well built, no nonsense get it done mount.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2020 at 19:59, Sunshine said:

I love that tripod, scopes too, the tripod caught my eye first, love the finish on the wood. That vixen GP holds a special place in my heart lol, such a reliable and well built, no nonsense get it done mount.

Thank you for the kind comments @Sunshine. I sold the Vixen GP a few months ago, due to the fact it was getting very little use then my Tele-Optic Giro & AyoAOK alt-az mounts. Also, it was at its maximum payload with those two ...and yes I do miss it.

I used to soak the legs with a liquid beeswax polish two or three times a year and the polish/buff off the excess and polish once a month with a solid beeswax polish.

• Like 1

I don't mind cats but I couldn't eat a whole one. Burp! :rolleyes2:

I don't think I've ever looked though a cat.

We rescued three, tom cat kittens from a barn.
They fought like wild cats and we were left with one.
He could talk and was the most intelligent creature on the planet.
Sadly, he vanished overnight at the age of seven.
It was years ago now but we still miss him.

Babe4 (Small).JPG

• Like 6

My C11 with some lovely dew....and a bit of drizzle...went inside to make me a cup of tea...seems that I kicked the kettle lead connection of the dew controller to the straps....and it rained for a few seconds....so came back with a nice warm cup of tea....and found the corrector plate all fogged up and rained on!!

IMG-3245.jpg

Edited by oymd
  • Like 2

My beloved 19 year old Orion Starmax 127. I'll eventually get a set of rings so I can also use on my Vixen Porta II mount. I can attach to the Porta II using the dovetail but it's on the bottom of the OTA so that puts my finder in the 7 o'clock position with is pretty awkward.

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

Edited by cupton
  • Like 1