Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Gregely

Celestron Ultima 8 pre-PEC fork mount hand controller

Hi SGL

I popped this topic on CN too but noone seems to know anything.

I came by an old Celestron Ultima 8 pre-PEC. I really like the scope and the mount it may be that I have read too much of Uncle Rod's and other's praise that I feel this scope has some intangible personality and charm.

Anyway...

Circuitry in the base seems to work fine even though the batteries don't hold charge but drive the Ra axis . I have 2 replacement on its way to me.

Now my issue: It didn't come with a hand controller. I know it is not needed for tracking, and I don't have a Dec motor but I find it would be useful for centering in RA and D.A.R.V. method drift alignment.

I was on the verge of making a crude controller out of veroboard and 4 momentary switches that I thought to be correct from the info on various sites, but then I came across an Ultima 8 project that clearly showed the hand controller for my scope.

The pic attached is the one.

I am looking for help on how the dial and buttons are wired in and/or photos of the innards of the hand controller or if anyone knows what else is inside the handbox.

The sources I was going on so far is a combination of the following 3 links:

https://www.cloudyni...ding/?p=8015749

https://onstep.group...in/message/6300

https://github.com/garlick/ultima8/blob/master/base/README.md

These of course don't include drive rate rotary switch in the middle and if I could I would really like to to restore the full ability of this mount without spending too much  on electronics. Plus I don't want to spend time and effort on wiring something that doesn't work.

Oh and lastly I have no background  or experience in electronics just own a soldering station and a whole lot of determination.

Thanks in advance

Greg

unnamed.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AstroMuni
      Hi,
      I have a Motor drive for the 130EQ and when I attach and switch it on it drives the RA axis. But once its attached its very difficult to move the OTA in the RA axis manually. Am I missing something? Is there a way to easily couple & decouple the motor so the OTA can be moved manually?
      Is there someone who uses one of these motors who can help me pls.
    • By jamesj01
      Hi everyone - juts purchased my first telescope and am asking for advice on what is best to be seen through this telescope as a starter - have already seen the moon and some distant stars and am comfortable with using all of the eye pieces included. What would anyone recommend?
    • By Matt1981g
      Hi 
      I’m attempting to get back into astronomy, previously owned a 150pl reflector but parted company with it several years ago, I like the idea of a Cassegrain style as one of the big factors Of letting the 150pl go. was storage and transportation of It! I am interested in mostly visual observations but would look to take a few pictures here and there OF planets and easy nebula/DSO., I feel that a Schmidt-Cassegrain would be the best suited, my main stumbling point is should I get the 5 or 6 version. Is the 6 under mounted? And is it worth the extra cash, obviously there’s a higher light gathering power on the 6 but would it be much better than the 5, I see that the % of lens obstruction on the seems high! As the secondary mirror looks to be the same size on both 40% vs 14%! Obstruction by area. Any guidance would be very appreciated. I’m not against the idea of upgrading the mount in the future to a eq5 maybe? But want in usable to start with.

• By Vortex
      Hello all!
      A question for all you Starsense users out there ...
      When I do an auto align with Starsense, it duly goes through it's routine of moving the scope to different star targets and resolves each one fine (5 targets I believe).  Then it displays on the handset "StarSense Ready".
      At this point the telescope tube is always pointing in some random direction - is this how yours behaves after it finishes alignment ?  Just pointing at the last star it used as a target reference ?

At this point I usually set my scope to go to it's "HOME" position, but whenever I "GOTO" a target it is never in the scopes eyepiece and I have to manually hunt around for it.  (Using a wide angled eyepiece).
      Should I just "GOTO" a target without going to "HOME" position first, or should it not matter ?

NB - All this after precise Polar Alignment using Polemaster.

Grateful for your input

Many thanks

Kind Regards

V.

• By Welsh Dave
      Hello There,
      I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently making a setup but I would like to add a good finderscope onto my Celestron Starbright XLT scope. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
      Welsh Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.