Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what do you observe the most?

cola

Hi Filip, without a doubt my favorite is the Moon. :D

But when it's not there, I enjoy observing deep sky objects, especially open clusters. Actually, I like everything.. the Sun, meteors, the Aurora, comets, novae.. and sometimes the planets when the seeing is good enough. :(

Variable stars have never interested me, but carbon stars do (they're variables though, aren't they?). I love it when their color deepens, making them look like drops of blood in the night sky. Very beautiful.

My collimation.....theres not much else to do when its cloudy and at the moment I am thinking of converting the 8" into a kitchen bin. It would be more useful that way owing to non stop cloud :(

I did kind of have this nutty idea I might look at nebula when I bought it.

As i'm playing 'catchup' after years of not owning a scope, I am observing everything I can in some kind of order (weather permitting) starting with the Messier objects. When the Moon is up, i'll observe it and the planets too. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Clouds and orange sky glow mostly but on the rare occasions it's clear and I'm home I keep looking at the same objects comparing the views to the memories of last time but by then the memory has faded. I'd like to look at galaxies but it's a losing battle with the light pollution and local bad seeing.

I suppose the most observed objects are open clusters but I'll look at anything I can. I must get a list together so I'm armed for the next time.

The last few times I've been out I've been a little obsessed with Caldwell 1 (NGC188) near Polaris but I've had no luck spotting it so far. It's an open cluster (one of the oldest known) but I think it needs good transparency and a darker site.

Archived