SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Phantom of the Opera aka Face of Mars Nebula

gorann

Here is another scary nebula in Cassiopeia. Generally know as the Phantom of the Opera Nebula, but Tom  @Tom OD , with his amazing Cassiopeia Mosaic, calls it The Face of Mars and suggested I should image it. So this one is for you Tom😎

Collected the photons on Friday night before the north obsy wall got in the way and I moved the scopes to galaxies around midnight. Used my Esprit double rig on the Mesu 200. Esprit 150 with ASI071 caught the RGB (17 x 10 min at gain 200) and Esprit 100 with ASI1600MM caught the Ha (13 x 15 min at gain 139). Ha added to the red channel using blend mode Lighten in PS. Totally 6.2 hours on a clear and monless night with SQM of 21.3.

20200313SH2-173HaRGBPS34smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 15

16 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Beautiful capture, it is amazing how many nebulae there are to image, it seems every day i see a nebulae i haven't heard of before.

Thanks Sunshine! But actually up here in the northern hemisphere they start getting low on the horizon so it is time to start pointing at galaxies, Many more of them especially if you have enough focal length.

• Like 1

That turned out quite nice, Göran. 

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Many more of them especially if you have enough focal length.

With your 3.5 m Meade, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Hopefully poor seeing doesn't spoil the fun. 

On 16/03/2020 at 08:49, gorann said:

Here is another scary nebula in Cassiopeia. Generally know as the Phantom of the Opera Nebula, but Tom  @Tom OD , with his amazing Cassiopeia Mosaic, calls it The Face of Mars and suggested I should image it. So this one is for you Tom😎

Collected the photons on Friday night before the north obsy wall got in the way and I moved the scopes to galaxies around midnight. Used my Esprit double rig on the Mesu 200. Esprit 150 with ASI071 caught the RGB (17 x 10 min at gain 200) and Esprit 100 with ASI1600MM caught the Ha (13 x 15 min at gain 139). Ha added to the red channel using blend mode Lighten in PS. Totally 6.2 hours on a clear and monless night with SQM of 21.3.

20200313SH2-173HaRGBPS34smallSign.jpg

Excellent Goran

You have more resolution than the original Face of Mars images :)

You also caught the crows feet of the Phantom :)

Tom

13 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Excellent Goran

You have more resolution than the original Face of Mars images :)

You also caught the crows feet of the Phantom :)

Tom

Thanks a lot Tom! Yes I was surprised that there was so much detail in this nebula - most images I have seen have been very fuzzy.

Does "the crows feet" refer to the cluster NGC103 in the bottom right corner?

13 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Tom! Yes I was surprised that there was so much detail in this nebula - most images I have seen have been very fuzzy.

Does "the crows feet" refer to the cluster NGC103 in the bottom right corner?

Goran.... It'll be the dark lines emanating from his eyes ..   a sure sign he's been in too much sun :) 

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Goran.... It'll be the dark lines emanating from his eyes ..   a sure sign he's been in too much sun :) 

Aha! I see, did not know they were called craws feets in the UK! We call them laughter wrinkels here. I still live and l still learn😅. Thanks Dave!

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2020 at 11:35, gorann said:

Aha! I see, did not know they were called craws feets in the UK! We call them laughter wrinkels here. I still live and l still learn😅. Thanks Dave!

Yes that’s them. Aging lines I guess