Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

gorann

The Phantom of the Opera aka Face of Mars Nebula

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Here is another scary nebula in Cassiopeia. Generally know as the Phantom of the Opera Nebula, but Tom  @Tom OD , with his amazing Cassiopeia Mosaic, calls it The Face of Mars and suggested I should image it. So this one is for you Tom😎

Collected the photons on Friday night before the north obsy wall got in the way and I moved the scopes to galaxies around midnight. Used my Esprit double rig on the Mesu 200. Esprit 150 with ASI071 caught the RGB (17 x 10 min at gain 200) and Esprit 100 with ASI1600MM caught the Ha (13 x 15 min at gain 139). Ha added to the red channel using blend mode Lighten in PS. Totally 6.2 hours on a clear and monless night with SQM of 21.3.

 

20200313SH2-173HaRGBPS34smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful capture, it is amazing how many nebulae there are to image, it seems every day i see a nebulae i haven't heard of before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Beautiful capture, it is amazing how many nebulae there are to image, it seems every day i see a nebulae i haven't heard of before.

Thanks Sunshine! But actually up here in the northern hemisphere they start getting low on the horizon so it is time to start pointing at galaxies, Many more of them especially if you have enough focal length.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That turned out quite nice, Göran. 

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Many more of them especially if you have enough focal length.

With your 3.5 m Meade, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Hopefully poor seeing doesn't spoil the fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, that looks familiar--but much better on SGL--very nice

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2020 at 08:49, gorann said:

Here is another scary nebula in Cassiopeia. Generally know as the Phantom of the Opera Nebula, but Tom  @Tom OD , with his amazing Cassiopeia Mosaic, calls it The Face of Mars and suggested I should image it. So this one is for you Tom😎

Collected the photons on Friday night before the north obsy wall got in the way and I moved the scopes to galaxies around midnight. Used my Esprit double rig on the Mesu 200. Esprit 150 with ASI071 caught the RGB (17 x 10 min at gain 200) and Esprit 100 with ASI1600MM caught the Ha (13 x 15 min at gain 139). Ha added to the red channel using blend mode Lighten in PS. Totally 6.2 hours on a clear and monless night with SQM of 21.3.

 

20200313SH2-173HaRGBPS34smallSign.jpg

Excellent Goran

  You have more resolution than the original Face of Mars images :)

You also caught the crows feet of the Phantom :)

Tom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Excellent Goran

  You have more resolution than the original Face of Mars images :)

You also caught the crows feet of the Phantom :)

Tom

 

Thanks a lot Tom! Yes I was surprised that there was so much detail in this nebula - most images I have seen have been very fuzzy.

Does "the crows feet" refer to the cluster NGC103 in the bottom right corner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Tom! Yes I was surprised that there was so much detail in this nebula - most images I have seen have been very fuzzy.

Does "the crows feet" refer to the cluster NGC103 in the bottom right corner?

Goran.... It'll be the dark lines emanating from his eyes ..   a sure sign he's been in too much sun :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Goran.... It'll be the dark lines emanating from his eyes ..   a sure sign he's been in too much sun :) 

Aha! I see, did not know they were called craws feets in the UK! We call them laughter wrinkels here. I still live and l still learn😅. Thanks Dave!

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What an exerllent capture of an unusal object.I think the Phamtom is more suited personally.

Great work.

Mick.

Edited by astro mick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2020 at 11:35, gorann said:

Aha! I see, did not know they were called craws feets in the UK! We call them laughter wrinkels here. I still live and l still learn😅. Thanks Dave!

Yes that’s them. Aging lines I guess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, great image, never seen that one before.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alan potts said:

Wow, great image, never seen that one before.

Alan

Thanks a lot Alan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.