Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EKOS + AZ EQ6 Pro + Mac

MarkAR

Hi all, I loaded up KStars and Ekos and have been trying to figure out how to connect it to my mount and what to set up in the profile.

Mount has USB B port and so does the handset, do I connect my MacBook to the handset or direct to the mount?

Settng up a profile, which do I use under the Skywatcher Tab and what should the port setting be?

Everything I find on the net seems to devolve into windows style geek speak and I can't fathom out if i need other software like Indi Server, EQMAC.....

Please be gentle with me,  some things trust turn my mind to a confusing fog.

Cheers mate, hopefully I'll be able to hook everything else up without too much trouble. 

All this kit came with a USB hub so I'm presuming the Mount, Main Camera, Guide Camera, Filter Wheel and Focusser all plug into that and then the hub goes to my Mac.

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

" loaded up KStars and Ekos and have been trying to figure out how to connect it to my mount and what to set up in the profile.

Everything I find on the net seems to devolve into windows style geek speak and I can't fathom out if i need other software like Indi Server, EQMAC.....

Please be gentle with me,  some things trust turn my mind to a confusing fog."

Hi Mark

Know what you mean. I'm about to configure my own AZ EQ6 and 'field' laptop... and I'm a Linux user!

Intending to run KStars.

Saying that, I've found YouTube a great source of information, always worth a look!

chaxastro

'Humour is reason gone mad!' Grouch Marx

Maini desktop Pc: MX Linux/Kubuntu dual boot

Main laptop: MX Linux

Field laptop: Lubuntu 18.04.4LTS

• Like 1

@MarkAR Hello Mark. I have AZ-EQ6 mount and use KStars/EKOS/INDI running on a MacBook to control it. I'm one of those people who once I've got something like this working I promptly forget exactly how I did it. 🙂 But I'm happy to help if I can. 

I connect my MacBook directly to my mount using a Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter for Sky-Watcher Mounts

I also use KStars to connect to a Canon 450D DSLR camera for imaging and a guide camera attached to my finder scope. 

Do I gather that you have succesfully connected to the mount and are controlling it using the KStars planetarium software?

Edited by Ouroboros

1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

Hi @Ouroboros, yes got a connection through the handset via the USB ports. I suppose I could also do it direct to the mounts USB. Played around a bit with the controls and it seems to be working fine.

Good! 

The only disadvantage for me of  KStars on a Mac, unlike EQMOD on a Windows PC, is that you can't use a gamepad at the telescope to fine adjust or align the mount visually. The reason I wanted to do this is that my MacBook is 5 metres away in my warm room. As it happens I can use plate solving to do the same. But sometimes if I'm just doing visual astronomy I don't want to have to muck about with cameras. 

Edited by Ouroboros